VMware Communities
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion Setup not Starting

So, I have an Issue with VMware Fusion on my mac, Basically I have an intel macbook pro because i cant afford an apple silicon, so I wanted to run virtual machines, and basically vmware fusion was my best go, so when I downloaded the dmg file, it tells whether i want to open the file or show the disk image, i press open and it asks for the password, i enter it and the vmware fusion icon appears on my dock, bouncing, but right after I hit enter (after entering password) it disappears without giving me any errors, although one time it said vmware fusion crashed unexpectedly, other than that, it just keeps closing.

I also have the latest version of macos ventura 13.1 with plenty of storage space left

and its also a macbook pro 13" from 2017 with no touchbar, really good laptop for price but cannot run vmware fusion

Is it because I have a dual core or is it something else? Pls let me know!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for Fusion, I have reported it to the volunteer moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That's just the installer.  Fusion now lives in your applications folder, run it from there.

FWIW, a dual-core machine is going to be challenged running a virtual machine under ventura.  The host needs at least 2 dedicated cores, and most modern guest OS's also need 2.  Give it a try, but expect performance challenges.

0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

When I run it from the dmg file it closes, but no fusion in applications folder, so I dragged it to applications from the dmg file and then it asks me if I want to open it, i click yes and it asks me for password once again, i type it, press enter, it just closes, when an app opens, theres supposed to be a little dot underneath the icon, but the dot disappears and fusion closes without giving any errors, and when I do it the second time it only asks me for the password, nothing else, after i type it in, it closes again, with no errors

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You now have an incorrectly installed product. Moving the Fusion application file from the dmg to the Applications folder does not install Fusion. You must run the installer from the dmg file. 

I would remove all traces of Fusion from the Mac using the process in KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 , reboot the Mac, and retry the installation. 

Also make sure you are installing Fusion 13, as older versions are not supported on Ventura. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

But thats how I did it first, i opened it from the dmg file, it shows the fusion player icon, when i double click it, i it starts to verify the app, then it asks me if i want to open it or show package contents, I press open, and then it asks me for password while fusion was running in the background (with no windows open), after i type the password in, it just closes, and is nowhere to be found

edit: it was vmware fusion 13, and the installation file said "VMware-Fusion-13.0.0-20802013_universal.dmg" is that the correct file?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That's the right file, but not the right behavior when you double click it. A double click on the installer app should not be offering to show the package contents.

Did Fusion indicate when the installer ran that it needed an administrator password for a helper program?

Did you try the reinstall after removing all Fusion files (not just the VMware Fusion.app file) per the tech note I referenced?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

it asked me for the password, and it showed me an option whether i wanted to show the package contents, but i clicked open, thats when it asks me for password, i enter it, and it closes

I am also downloading the file again, after its done I will send a video clip of the problem! Also it takes some time because my internet is very slow

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

this is the video clip, you can understand more of my situation with this video! 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you, that's very helpful.

The message that you're seeing after launch is what you'd expect to see when executing something downloaded from the Internet. It's the macOS Gatekeeper at work. The wording in your prior posts was throwing me off.

This looks to be the issue that others have seen where the installer hangs.

First, reboot your Mac. 

Next, make sure that all traces of your previous attempts to install Fusion are gone - use the information in the tech note I provided. You need to remove files in both the system's /Library and the Library folder in your user account (in the tech note ~/Library refers to the Library folder in your user account directory).

In particular, one user had to make sure the following preferences files do not exist:

• Any file in your user's Library > Preferences folder starting with com.vmware.fusion
  • The folder in your user's Library > Preferences folder called "VMware Fusion"

Also make sure the following file in the Macintosh HD -> Library -> PrivilegedHelperTools folder does not exist:

• /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.vmware.fusion.InstallHelper

Once these files are all removed, try the Fusion installer again.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
JuliaVMTN
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Feel free to let me know if you need help moving it.

I will check the content here more often, but I hope we will have so much content that I won't be able to see everything! 

Feel free to ping me any time! 

I was finally able to take ownership of that inbox community_mgr@vmware.com  . (=

0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

I Don't know whether the last message i sent was actually dropped here, but the thing is im very new to macos, so I tried doing all the steps and removed the traces of vmware fusion i saw on the mac, from the library to applications, and i tried to reinstall it again, but same thing keeps happening as shown in the clip

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

After you've removed all traces of Fusion from your Mac with the information from the KB article, could you open the Terminal app and run the following command by copy/pasting this into the Terminal window?

for i in '*VMware*' '*com.vmware*'; { find Library -name "$i" -print 2>/dev/null};

After running it could you post a copy of the output here?

Another thought: Have you tried creating a new admin user account on your Mac, and then running the installer from the dmg download from that user?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the screenshot, also i havent tried using a different admin account

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That’s fine, thanks.

From what I see, there is one file still remaining that needs to be deleted to completely remove Fusion. 
Open Terminal and issue the following command 

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist

Then try the installation again. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, still the same thing, I give up, I dont think my mac likes vmware fusuon 😕

as soon as i enter the password it still keeps closing like that in the video 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos