VMware Communities
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion RC1 memory consumption (heavy leak?)

Hi,

I'm using VM Ware Fusion RC1 to run Windows XP SP2 from my Boot Camp partition on MacBook Pro Core duo with 2GB RAM. For the VM I have allocated 768MB. Very soon after starting the vm, all my memory gets used up and OS X starts swapping even though I'm not running any memory consuming applications under OSX or Windows. I've been observing two processes using Activity Monitor, with following results:

vmware-vmx process (I believe virtual machine backend?) physical memory usage stays relatively constant around 900MB, which is ok.

Another process 'vmware' (which is I believe is a frontend GUI) starts somewhere with 30MB of physical memory usage and 400MB virtual memory. At this point the performance of OSX and VM is good. However the physical memory usage of this process is constantly growing, with delta 250KB - 5MB per second. Already after several minutes I get 500MB phys.mem usage / 1GB virtual mem, steadily growing.

After one hour of work I end up with the process using >1,2 GB of physical memory and my OS becomes unresponsive and starts swapping (still no other memory consuming applications are running.)

I endup with vmware-vmx process 900MB + vmware process 1GB+ physical memory usage, and almost no OSX free mem, system swapping.

Killing vmware process cures the issue for a short while. Relaunching vmware will reconnect to already running vmware-vmx and I can continue with Windows from where I stopped, with 'vmware' process back to 30MB. However same story starts from the beginning, memory usage is growing and I won't be able to use the system after a short while again. (I also have to note that sometimes the 'vmware' process crashes by itself when I'm working with OS while windows is in the background, however this is a different issue.)

This looks like a serious problem to me.

I have only enabled 1 core for the VM and no experimental 3d acceleration.

Thanks for any help,

Best,

Dmitri

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Well...I haven't read about this before (yet - still missing the posts from the last two days though) but I would file a support request[/url].

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
arraya-halim
Contributor
Contributor

You may want to check in the preferences which option you have selected for Performance. I believe the default in RC1 is the "Optimize for virtual machine disk performance" option. This was previously available only as a configuration parameter that had to be manually put in the config file or .vmx file, but after many complaints from users over poor performance in comparison to Parallels, it was switched on as the default.

This setting controls how Fusion handles disk caching. With it set to "optimize for VM" it uses buffered disk I/O, resulting in much faster disk access for a VM. The problem is there is a significant and noticeable performance hit to Mac applications as this buffer ends up consuming all available RAM on the system. What I would like to see is a setting somewhere in between the two. Make some RAM available for disk cache, and still leave enough to keep Mac application performance at acceptable levels. Maybe give priority to Mac apps when Fusion is in the background?

0 Kudos
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I have already tried this setting as well, I was testing it out at last with "Optimize for OSX application performance". It didn't make a difference in my case. The vmware process is consuming memory very fast, even when windows is actually idle (no disk activity in windows.) Otherwise I would expect that the cache would be handled by vmware-vmx process, which actually runs the virtual machine? the memory consuming process is in my case the "vmware" (GUI?) process, it quickly allocates the rests of all available resources and brings the system performance down until its barely usable.

This process seems to be not required for the actual virtual machine, since I can simply kill and restart it to free up the memory (without affecting the actual virtual machine state.) However it starts to consume the memory steadily again.

I wonder if anybody else is observing the same?

0 Kudos
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

1.5 weeks ago I've submitted SR # 190720924, no response so far.

I wonder if this is a known issue, normal behaviour (does vmware require >2GB of RAM to run 768MB VM?) or is it some strange weirdness, specific to my installation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'll admit this sounds really bad if it's a general problem. Thanks for reporting it. Normally, the "vmware" process (which is indeed the UI) should not take many resources, and should not grow like that, and no, it should not take > 2GB of RAM to run a 768MB VM. We haven't seen this problem elsewhere to my knowledge though, so it might be somehow specific to your installation; we should try to learn more.

Can you post your .vmx file? Also, what display mode are you using -- windowed, fullscreen, or Unity?

(I also have to note that sometimes the 'vmware' process crashes by itself

when I'm working with OS while windows is in the background, however this

is a different issue.)

This different issue is also worth investigating. Can you post a crash log for this one? Or, are you experiencing the problem documented in the thread http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=93692&tstart=15 here?

0 Kudos
jennyberglund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Slart,

As magi said, this is definitely not normal or expected. One thing I'm curious about is what type of items you have in your Windows Start menu. Specifically, do you have any shortcuts to folders in the start menu? Or anything else that you wouldn't see on an out-of-the-box Windows installation?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

And what build of VMware Tools do you have installed in the guest OS?

0 Kudos
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi magi and jenny, thank you for your attention.

I'm using VMware tools build 7.3.1.50460. To make sure all program files and drivers are up-to-date, I attached the listing of all vmware tools related files on my drive. Re-installing VMware tools with repair option didn't change anything in regard of my problem. The windows guest OS has been installed already end of last year and was used via bootcamp, so it is not a fresh installation.

I'm was previously using fullscreen mode until I noticed this problem, while performing my tests to narrow the problem down I used windowed mode. It doesn't seem to make difference.

Answering Jenny's question - yes I have some unusual items in my start menu. A folder shortcut and a shortcut to VPN network dial-up (PPTP)

In my attempt to narrow down to the source of the problem, I've disabled all windows startup items (HKLM/HKCU registry, windows startup folder, stopped anti-virus services etc), switched to default XP window theme, removed all icons from desktop except recycle bin, removed folder/VPN-Dial-up shortcuts from start menu, switched start menu to default large icons,left just default items in start menu. I've also got only 2 tray icons: vmware tools and volume control. I also removed the network drive mapping to vmware shared folders and any other network locations. Now the configuration can't be more basic. I've attached list of processes running on guest OS. The only unusual processes are InputRemapper and vsmon(Zone Alarm.) I can't disable InputRemapper, because I will loose keyboard / mouse input. I tried disabling Zone Alarm, however it didn't make any difference.

Afterwards I made following observations:

\- After reboot, while windows logon screen was open - vmware process size was stable at around 24MB of physical memory usage, 386MB virtual mem.

\- After logging on, I've observed memory usage of vmware process steadily growing with approx speed of +2MB/s, can go endlessly upwards - over couple of hundreds MB.

\- Strangely vmware process stops consuming new memory once I start some mouse activity and actually releases some memory (around 10-30MB). Afterwards the memory usage floats around the same level.

\- Once the guest OS has been idle for couple of seconds again, vmware process starts consuming new memory. Sometimes it releases the newly consumed memory after I start mouse activity back to old level, sometimes not, especially if I leave it idle for longer time >2min. (500MB and more)

Next try - I've created a new user account, rebooted OS under this new account.

\- After logon, vmware process increases until it hits 72MB - 128MB usage and stops.

Effects described above are 100% reproducible, I've retried 10 times to make sure that I'm not reporting random effects here.

Interestingly, when I reboot and logon as a new test user at first, then logoff and logon using my regular user account - vmware process usage doesn't grow anymore and stays stable at the same level. It only grows if I logon after reboot using my regular user account.

While testing, I had same processes running under both user accounts, my regular and the new test user account. I attached the list of processes for both users.

(Just in case this makes any difference: I'm using VirtueDesktops under OSX, my vmware fusion window is located on the second desktop.)

Regarding the crash problem - I haven't experienced crashes for a while now, mainly because I stopped using vmware due to the memory problem. I've already checked the forum thread you've linked to, however after examining my log file after the crash, I found no mentioning of " NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora/apps/lib/dui/duiIconConverter.m:221 ". Unfortunately I didn't keep the log file. I will post the log once I get the crash again.

Thanks a lot for looking into this, any more suggestions are appreciated.

Best,

Dmitri

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Slart. Would it be possible for us to get a copy of your VM? If that would be all right with you, PM me and I'll give you upload instructions.

0 Kudos
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

hi magi,

its bootcamp and is my primary work partition. I can't provide the complete copy of the partition unfortunately. Let me know if I can supply you any specific details that may help to investigate the issue.

Best,

Dmitri

0 Kudos
Jeff968
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having similar problems. I had Parallels installed, and when version 3 came out my previously working VM began to crash. The symptoms were while retrieving a web page in Safari (after a period of sleep) the spinning pinwheel would appear and the system would not respond to any action. My only recourse was to restart the computer, and when I did my hard disk was gone (blinking question mark over folder, disk could not be repaired in Disk Utility). This resulted in a complete reinstall of OS X which I did twice, and then abandoned Parallels. It usually took about 2 weeks from install to trashed system.

I recently VMWare Fusion hoping I would have better luck, but it lasted only about a day before it did something similar. On reboot I got the circle with the slash through it, and Disk Utility could not repair the disk.

Last night I reinstalled OS X and VMWare Fusion to see what I could figure out as far as the cause of the issue. As noted above, if I run Activity Monitor I can watch the memory rise, seemingly only when the Windows VM process is idle. If I shut down VMWare the memory consumption stops, and the memory is released.

I have a stock OS X fully patched, no other apps other than VMWare, and a stock Windows XP SP2 fully patched. There are no apps installed in Windows other than those installed by Fusion.

I would love to have this solved so that I can use Windows. Let me know what you want me to do.

0 Kudos
jeremydb
Contributor
Contributor

Without any real basis for this, except for several years' experience as a computer repair technician, some years ago.. It sounds like you have a hardware problem (hard drive, most likely) and that, VMware, Parallels or neither, you're going to continue to run into these issues. Then again, I haven't had VMware on my machine for much more than 2 weeks yet... Smiley Happy

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Jeff968
Contributor
Contributor

I should have mentioned my hardware environment.

iMac Late 2006

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

256MB VRAM

2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

250GB Serial ATA Drive

SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)

OS X 10.4.10

Macally RFMouse

CyberPower 800VA UPS with AVR

Canon Pixma MP180 Printer

0 Kudos
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jeff,

I would say the memory raise issue under vmware fusion is not related to the crashes you were experiencing in parallels and fusion.

If you setup your activity monitor to show you "All processes" with filter "vmware", you should see two processes: "vmware-vmx" and "vmware"(or "VMWare Fusion). Enable Virtual Memory and Real Memory columnes in your process list. How is the Real Memory and Virtual Memory usage developing for both processes?

Dmitri

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Slart,

Not that I suspect anything in particular, but I would wonder if there is anything in your OSX that would cause this behaviour. I'm thinking background processes and specific system settings etc. Have you looked at that? Are you able to make a fresh install and run the vm to test?

I never tried it but if Fusion runs in OSX safe mode you could also try that (hold down shift during boot).

0 Kudos
MrFaithful
Contributor
Contributor

If you setup your activity monitor to show you "All

processes" with filter "vmware", you should see two

processes: "vmware-vmx" and "vmware"(or "VMWare

Fusion).

I'm having the memory leak problem myself and I just thought I'd add an observation. The runaway process is "vmware" and I have been dealing with it by quitting and reopening to let the memory free. It crashes after a while if I don't. But this morning in Activity Monitor I noticed that the process is now "VMware Fusion" with the little icon and it is staying stable at 72meg of real memory with 2 VMs running XP, one of which in Unity. This is without changing anything in the system at all.

0 Kudos
Slart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MrFaithful,

I'd suggest that you report the problem to vmware support.

Dmitri

0 Kudos
clsbn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jeff, i had exactly the same problem. I supposed the cause was Parallels or vmware but after 4 OSX reinstallation I request to change HardDrive.

Now seems to go fine.

I suppose that vmware and parallels especially when suspend the virtual machines make a lot of I/O and in case of damaged disks, the failure more probably happens.

0 Kudos
n9yty
Contributor
Contributor

Similar thing here....

Currently my VMWare 1.0 (not RC1) is sitting "Idle", but it's taking anywhere from 45% to 60% of CPU time shown in Activity Monitor. Also, the "VMWare Fusion" process is up to 270MB REAL memory, 654MB Virtual and 228MB Private. The vmware-vmx is 712MB real, 1GB virtual and 13MB private.

Windows Task Manager shows 98% Idle, 2% TaskManager, so it was truly "Idle" before I launched Task Manager.

I have a bootcamp installation with 512MB allocated to it.

Any hope to get memory consumption back down to sane levels?

0 Kudos