VMware Communities
Plumit
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion PC Migration Agent - Error 1324

Spent the morning trying to instal PC Migration Agent, it goes so far and then I get

Error 1324, The path My Documents contains an invalid character.

Tried to get support, but on logging into my account, it wouldn't even let me register the product...

A web search suggested trying to do a system restore...that had no effect.

Running out of ideas...and getting very frustrated with this product.

Any help would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks in advance.

Steve aka plumit@hotmail.com

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe a dumb question, but does the path contain invalid character (e.g. apostrophes, ...)?

André

0 Kudos
Plumit
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly all the info I have is in the message "Error 1324, The path My Documents contains an invalid character."

I've not set the path and the folder "My documents" is a standard subdirectory of me as a user.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've not set the path and the folder "My documents" is a standard subdirectory of me as a user.

That's actually what I'm asking for. Does the full path to "My Documents" (i.e. your user name) contain invalid characters? Please double check this in a command prompt (not in the GUI).

André

0 Kudos
Plumit
Contributor
Contributor

I think I might be able to see what the issue is...

On the tree I have it as c:\Users\myname\My Documents

But If I look at the properties, it is down as c:\Users\myname\Documents - and it won't rename to My Documents

I should say I have Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

So you are working with a username of "myname" rather than "Steve" or "Steve's PC"!? The question still remains, does the real path on the command line or in the properties (not the GUI, it substitudes the names) contain any special characters?

André

0 Kudos
Plumit
Contributor
Contributor

I am working with my actual name in place of "myname" and no there are no unusual characters in either.

Steve

0 Kudos
Plumit
Contributor
Contributor

I have also tried deleting the hidden short cut to my documents, which was lurking in the folder, and then adding a My Documents folder before rerunning the installation software, still it showed the same error code.

Steve

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Try to install the app on a new profile.

Create a new user with admin rights on your PC.

try installing the app under new account.

If this also reports same error, we will have to concentrate on registry.

Note : The username should not contain special characters included spaces | "john carter" is invalid however johncarter is valid.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos