VMware Communities
pandeyar
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion : Only Upload Internet Speed is Super Slow compared to Host (Download speed is Great)

Hello, 

My host is mac Ventura 13.2 and VMware Fusion (Player Version 13.0.1) also has mac os Ventura 13.2. I am facing a strange Internet upload speed issue, the Upload speed I am getting in VM is 0.08Mbps.  Download speed is around at 90% of Host Machine. 

My Host's upload and download speed is well over 200Mpbs, issue is only for Upload speed on VM. 

I have looked into *.vmx File the ethernet entries seems to be okay, and are as below

ethernet0.addressType = "static"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

has any one faced similar issue and has any recommendation for me? Appreciate your help into this. Thank you

Tags (2)
16 Replies
VitalyESX
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here. Need help.

All Guests with Ventura 13 having good download speed and dramatically dead Upload speed (4kb/s - 30kb/s), whatever i did.

It's starts when create new VM with Ventura or upgrade Monterey on Ventura(and change ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e" to ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3".

How i checked upload speed. VNC to VM is very-very-very slow, sending file from GuestVM to HOST(or other device in same network) via scp.

I tried changing MTU (1280-1504), down the HOST adapter speed from 10gb link to 1gb link.
Tried another HOST (mac mini 2018 late with 1gb link) with another network.

On the same HOST other VMs with Monterey worked fine (with e1000e). 

HOST: MacPro 2019, Ventura 13.3, Fusion 13
Guest VM: Ventura 13.3, latest vmware tools from fusion.
Network: Bridge or NAT or Private it doesn't matter.

0 Kudos
sjlombardo
Contributor
Contributor

We're experiencing the same issue here. Even with a fresh install of Ventura the upload speed on the VM is a small fraction of the upload speed. It makes the VM unusable. Has anyone figured out why this is happening, or any way to fix the issue? Changing the network adapter doesn't work. Other VMs on the same host work fine. The host operating system is Ventura and there are no issues there. 

Tags (1)
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I suspect this is related to the VNC screen sharing performance thread.  

The challenge is that esxi has depreciated macOS as a supported guest, so the tools are end of life.  MacOS guests aren't supported on ARM processors, so I doubt that we'll see much work on them, but there should be a tech preview coming out after WWDC, so that'd be the best venue to provide feedback and maybe get a fix included.

If you can switch to Linux or Windows guests, that'd be a better long term solution.

sjlombardo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response. We're not running ESXi, we're running Ventura under Fusion on macOS. We're also using the x86_64 host and guest, so we're not using ARM at all. 

VitalyESX
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for advice about techpreview.

We use VMware Fusion 13 on Intel mac computers (mac pro 2019, mac mini 2018 late). Only win and linux guest machines are available on ARM, but we cannot install Xcode on them.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

the tools are built/supported by esxi, so when they depreciate them, they're depreciated for all platforms and products.  

That has impacts on Fusion for both intel and arm, and my guess is that the fusion team is focusing most of their development work on supported platforms and guests.  Since MacOS no longer has tools being developed, I suspect it's a lower priority than other work (like getting full tools on windows arm).

In any case, intel lifespan is limited - MacOS on intel likely will be desupported by Apple in the next couple of years, and certainly with 3 or 4, at which point it may not be possible to run MacOS guests (unless Apple improves the API).  Probably wouldn't hurt to look for non-mac alternative guests.  If you're doing xcode, running directly on the host is likely the only long term option.

0 Kudos
jhmr
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.

jhmr
Contributor
Contributor

Found a solution, at least in my case. Turning off TSO on the guest (macOS Ventura) seems to restore performance. Here’s how to do that.

On the guest, in Terminal:

sysctl net.inet.tcp.tso=0

To make it persist across reboots, create a file at /etc/sysctl.conf and paste “net.inet.tcp.tso=0” as the first line (without quotes).

These two pages gave insight into the solution:

1. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2055140
  2. https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/how-do-i-disable-lro-and-tso-on-mac-osx/...
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

This seems to fix the poor performance issue that I've seen for VNC/Screen Sharing in Ventura VMs.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
VitalyESX
Contributor
Contributor

Confirm! It works!

sysctl net.inet.tcp.tso=0

Thank's a lot!

leo_olympian
Contributor
Contributor

This resolved my issue, thanks a ton!

0 Kudos
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@jhmr's solution also works on Sonoma guests. Thanks from me, too!

As best I can tell, it isn't required for Monterey guests (and below?).

0 Kudos
cb1231
Contributor
Contributor

Solution from @jhmr worked!

from terminal:   sudo vi /etc/sysctl.conf

net.inet.tcp.tso=0

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Steven_Michaud wrote:

@jhmr's solution also works on Sonoma guests. Thanks from me, too!

As best I can tell, it isn't required for Monterey guests (and below?).

It shouldn’t be needed for Monterey and below. Those macOS versions still had the Apple provided e1000e driver that doesn’t exhibit this performance issue. It’s Ventura and later VMs that use the Apple provided vmxnet3 driver (since they dropped the e1000e NIC driver). The Apple provided driver doesn’t disable segmentation offload processing by default.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
s4r
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Solved my problem too.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@s4r wrote:

Running Sonoma on VM Workstation Pro 17.x

That's not a good thing to admit to on this forum. You're probably aware that Apple doesn't license macOS to be run on anything other than Apple hardware. In turn, VMware doesn't allow discussions of running macOS on non Apple hardware on these VMware sponsored forums because:

• They could face legal action by Apple for appearing to condone the use Apple of software in violation of Apple's licensing agreements (comments about the policy should be directed at VMware's lawyers). Discuss that somewhere else, as moderators are quick to lock threads where this occurs.
  • VMware doesn't support running macOS on VMware Workstation for this reason. If you're doing so, you've hacked Workstaiton in violation of VMware's license agreement. Not a cool thing to admit to on a vendor-sponsored forum either.
- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos