VMware Communities
IPBrian
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion OS X Virtual Machine Unable to VPN with Bridge Networking

I am running OS X 10.10.3 on my host and VMWare Fusion I have a virtual OS X 10.10.3 guest.  When I use Bridged Networking (I need to do it this way because I have two different networks) VPN does not work in the virtual mac...it works fine in the host.  If I changed to "Share with my Mac" on the guest's network connection, it does work (though I cant use this network normally). 

I have multiple windows machines using bridged networking that use this same network that fails on OSX above.  I would REALLY like to move away from Windows completely.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Let me be sure I understand - are you connecting the VPN inside the guest or on the host?  If on the host, then you have to use NAT networking to gain access to it - bridged bypasses the VPN.  If inside the guest, then it should work.

0 Kudos
IPBrian
Contributor
Contributor

I am creating a VPN from within the Guest OS X VM.  It fails to connect in bridge mode (the network is fine...its actually purposefully built to allow VPN).  If I move the guest to Share with my Mac (thus natting) it works which is odd, since we are on a network that is known to disallow VPN (at least from time to time).  The host is on my work network (lots of secrity), the guest needs to be bridged to our VPN open network. 

Again this works from within a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 VM guest with bridging.  It only fails in OS X. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ahh, ok.  I haven't done much with VPN's in OSX guests.  Are you using actual VPN software or the built-in IPSEC VPN?  I'd try the opposite from the one you're using.

0 Kudos
IPBrian
Contributor
Contributor

Both actually.  I have tried both the built in client and VPN Tracker both of which have the same response.  

0 Kudos
IPBrian
Contributor
Contributor

I figured I would try to resurrect this topic again.  I am running VMWare Fusion on OSX with an OSX guest using bridged networking (different mac and IP on the guest and host).  When I use any sort of VPN software (either OSX or VPN Tracker) inside the guest, it doesn't work. 

I am running wireshark on both the host and the guest what I see is outbound establishment of the VPN tunnel to my machine.  Further there are ISAKMP keepalives keeping the tunnel alive.  This part is working.

When I try to get to something on the other side of my VPN tunnel, I see ESP traffic leave my guest destined for the far side firewall.  I see this leave the physical nic on my host (guests bridged IP to farside firewall ip), I see ESP return traffic on my host from the farside firewall destined for my guest's IP. 

I never see any return traffic on the guest. 

I have the firewall on the guest and host disabled.

WHY don't I get return traffic on my guest?

0 Kudos
nomad777
Contributor
Contributor

Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue. My host  is OSX 10.11.6 on a Mac mini running Fusion Pro 8.5.6. The guest VM is OSX 10.11.6 also. I am trying to establish a SSL VPN connection to a SonicWall.

SonicWall provides the SonicWall Mobile Connect client 4.0.16 which is installed on host and guest. The host connects without issue. Guest VM complains indicating login failed.

I maintain several client's and each have a SonicWall. One may have a TZ300, another may have a TZ105. My host connects to each without issue, guest OSX does not.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos