VMware Communities
jeanlouisbertho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion - No Audio Output Device is Installed

To whom it may concern,

Having just upgraded from an old MacBook Air to a new MacBook Pro as the base for my Windows 10, which I launch with VMware Fusion (Player 12.1.1 - 11.5 before), I discovered that I seem to have the same problem as before. There is a red X over the sound icon in the task bar and there doesn't seem to be the correct Audio Controller drivers (see in the attachments). Would you have any idea as how to fix it?
In the settings, I made sure to have the "Connect Sound Card" ticked, and the input and output devices are "System default".

I would be very grateful if someone had an idea!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Looks like this is a VM that was made from a physical Windows installation..the connexant drivers are not going to work for a VMware audio device. You probably have a lot more left over device drivers that are not going to be used anymore.

The way your "No Audio Output Device is Installed" issue is usually resolved is by deleting the current audio device in the virtual hardware.

First shut down the VM and then:

menu -> virtual machine -> settings -> Sound Card -> click button "Remove Sound Card" -> confirm removal

Then button top right "Add Device" -> Select "Sound Card" -> click "Add..."

This will refresh the Sound card configuration and does tend to resolve the "no audio device" issue.

Good luck!
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Looks like this is a VM that was made from a physical Windows installation..the connexant drivers are not going to work for a VMware audio device. You probably have a lot more left over device drivers that are not going to be used anymore.

The way your "No Audio Output Device is Installed" issue is usually resolved is by deleting the current audio device in the virtual hardware.

First shut down the VM and then:

menu -> virtual machine -> settings -> Sound Card -> click button "Remove Sound Card" -> confirm removal

Then button top right "Add Device" -> Select "Sound Card" -> click "Add..."

This will refresh the Sound card configuration and does tend to resolve the "no audio device" issue.

Good luck!
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jeanlouisbertho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Wil,

This worked perfectly,

Thank you so much!

All the best to you,
Sincerely,

Jean-Louis

gigs94
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just upgraded my host machine to be Monterey, and my vm to Monterey (yes, I have macos running a macos vm using fusion 12.2.1).   The vm does not have any audio devices attached.   I have tried the steps multiple times here and they don't work for me.   Do you have any other suggestions for this issue?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Different issue - that's for a windows guest.

Did you reinstall VMWare tools in the guest after upgrading?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gigs94
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I reinstalled it, and it still has the same issue.

0 Kudos
oleg3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try to uncheck "Enable hypervisor applications" under "Processors & Memory" tab - it helped me. First I started to see my audio which still didn't work, then I uninstalled and added back audio device and now both input and output work.

0 Kudos
anilspp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos