VMware Communities
MJMalley
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion Internal Error after 8.5.7 upgrade

Running VMware Fusion Pro on MacOS Sierra 10.12.4, guests are Windows 10 Pro x64.  All was well until I let VMware upgrade itself to 8.5.7 yesterday.  The upgrade seemed to go OK but the VM window opened with the machine suspended (OK, desktop visible), and an "Internal Error" popup. Can't get past it.  Tried another (clone) VM in another user account on the host, same deal.

Tried removing VMware - trash the app, trash the VMware folders in both /library/preferences, reinstall 8.5.7 with a fresh download - same error.

Tried removing VMware again, reboot, download and install 8.5.6, same result.

Tried creating a new Win 10 VM from a Windows 10 Pro Install Disk Image - but it failed with the same internal error.

I have opened a support ticket, but am curious if anybody has a suggestion for me.  I have license software installed in the original VM that is going to be a hassle to get licensed again.

2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you try rebooting the Mac?

The error usually means the KEXT's can't load for some reason. We load them dynamically when the app starts, so usually it just takes a reboot to flush the kext cache.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: Fusion & Workstation
0 Kudos
MJMalley
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did that.  I'm working with support on the case.  Thanks for the suggestion.