VMware Communities
m_c_crockett-1
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 8.5 and Windows 10 Performance

I have VMware Fusion 8.5.8 installed with the 32-bit version of Windows 10 installed as the guest operating system.  I encounter episodes when this combination becomes extremely sluggish.  Would I be better off switching to the 64-bit version of Windows 10 as the guest operating system?

I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 10 because I was concerned about Quicken Premier data files that I had to move from my 32-bit Windows XP Pro environment.  My usage of Windows 10 is extremely limited.  I routinely update Windows 10 but only run two applications in this environment:  Quicken Premier 2017 and Mozilla Firefox.  I should note that I prefer to keep the Windows 10 environment segregated from my OS X environment and run the VMware Fusion Windows 10 virtual machine in its own window.

I would appreciate comments from anyone that has used both versions of Windows 10 regarding which version provides better performance.  Assuming that it is the 64-bit version, can anyone give some guidance in switching from the 32-bit to the 64-bit version of Windows 10.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

My guess is that you're starving the host for CPU cycles.  Make sure that the guest has no more than N-1 cpu's, where N is then umber of physical (not virtual) cores in the computer.  For a 13" MBP, that's 2, for a 15 it's 4.

Likewise make sure you leave at least 4GB of RAM for the host - 8 is better.

You can't switch from 32 to 64 - you have to reinstall from scratch.  I would make the switch regardless of performance, as 32-bit is going to be depreciated.

0 Kudos