VMware Communities
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion 7 Windows XP SATA drivers

I cannot determine whether it is possible to run a XP Guest with SATA virtual disks under Fusion 7? IF it is, what do I have to do to accomplish this including changing/moving my SCSI virtual disks to SATA? Thanks!!! I am not really interested in getting an answer predicating Why? I want to do this... just whether I can, alright? I saw in a 2013 KB on this where the request for help deteriorated into why and the efficacy of doing this... I just want to know if it is possible and if so how do I do this including how to change my current SCSI to SATA. Thanks in advance for your time, help, and understanding!!

Rob

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi ConnectixVPC4Mac6xPBG412,

Welcome to Fusion community and thanks for using Fusion.

For your question, I am afraid that Fusion does not change SCSI to SATA for XP, because it is very old operation system.

But we did support  this scenario on Win7, Win8, Win10 guest, please let me know if you have any issue. Thanks again for using Fusion 7.

0 Kudos
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. However, the ability to allow users to run older apps and OSes is a primary purpose of virtualization although there are other reasons. Furthermore, VMware is trying to compete with Parallels and VirtualBox so finding capabilities that differentiate it from the competition should be a strategy for gaining marketshare and keeping it. This capability would give VMware Fustion an edge on its competition and for this reason should be pursued or at least considered.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for raising your concern. To be honest, few people will change bus type for disk, we allow user to change, but not recommend, we also provide a warning to alter end user there is a risk for changing it.

We also including the compatibility for old version os as well, but as you know, Microsoft does not support XP anymore, hope you can understand, thanks.

0 Kudos