VMware Communities
somedudegysomed
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 6.01 and Mavericks 10.9 on 2009 27" iMac

First off, please excuse my username. Something messed up during the signup process and I would like a way to change it to what I originally would like it to be... Somedudeguy.

With that said, I seem to have a problem with my fresh installation of VMWare Fusion 6 on my 2009 27", 3.06 GHz Intel dual core iMac running a clean installation of Mavericks. I am trying to run Windows 7 as a guest via Bootcamp and everything seems to boot up just fine. After awhile, Everything just freezes up badly. The iMac becomes unresponsive, nothing happens but just a beach ball spinning around as the cursor. After a some 15 min of being in such a sate, Everything then becomes responsive again and VMware Fusion gives me back these error messages....

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.22.03 PM.png

When I press cancel, I then get this message...

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.22.20 PM.png

I tried mixing around some guest OS settings like change amount of CPU cores and changing ram values. The problem still happens. The usual settings I give to Windows 7 is 2048 MB / 4GB of ram and use both cores of the CPU.

As I have said before, I am using a clean installation of Mavericks with no previous settings for VMware Fusion. I don't seem to have this problem with other non Bootcamp guest OS's.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like the hard drive might be starting to fail.

0 Kudos
arang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As WoodyZ said, it sounds like your hard drive may be starting to show signs of failure, though there could be software issues at play.

If you go into Console and look at the system log around the time that you got that error message, are there errors shown there?  If there's an error reading from or writing to the hard disk, there should be a message from the disk driver as well.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

As the other posters have noted, 2009-era HD's are likely in high-failure mode at this point.  I recommend Smart Utility (Volitans Software- Makers of SMART Utility for the Mac) as far better than disk utility to detect HD failures.

0 Kudos