VMware Communities
ajegan
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 5.0.2 Magic Mouse Lag

Hi

Ever since I upgraded to Fusion 5.0 I have been experiencing extremely slow magic mouse response in the vurtual machine, it is practically unusable (same issue with trac pad).  I have tried updating the drivers but receive 'latest driver is installed' message.

I have searched through the forums here and most of the issues related to magic mouse are for older versions.  Anybody able to help with this, I am at the point now where I just cannot think of what else I might change!!!

Thanks and apologies if this post should belong in another string Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1) When you say slow response, what is slow exactly? Is the mouse cursor moving with a lag inside the VM, or do you perceive a lag when you click on a mouse button and an action takes place in the VM?

2) Which operating system are you running inside the VM?

3) Which version of Mac OS are you running, on which Mac model (run "sysctl hw.model" in Terminal)?

4) Can you confirm that this is a regression from Fusion 4.1.4 to Fusion 5.0.2?. You can install both versions at the same time on your Mac, by putting them in different locations. Then, you can run them one at a time (i.e. open Fusion 4.1.4, use it, quit it, then open Fusion 5.0.2, use it, quit it).

HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

More questions:

5) Does it happen in all view modes (Window, Full Screen, Unity) or just in Unity mode?

6) Is the problem intermittent, or is it 100% reproducible?

7) Are the VMware Tools up-to-date inside the VM? If in doubt, un-install them completely and re-install them.

😎 When you perceive the mouse lag, what do you see?

a) 2 mouse cursors (host and guest)

b) Only the host mouse cursor

c) Only the guest mouse cursor

9) If you replied #b or #c to question 8, how do you notice the lag then? Is the lag a speed problem or a displacement problem. I.e. when you move the mouse in your hand,

d) does the mouse cursor on screen eventually reach the destination that you expect, but you see it travel slowly,

e) or does the mouse cursor on screen travel at normal speed, but you see it reach a different destination than the one you think it should reach

?

10) Do you use a Retina display?

ajegan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply HPReg

Before I answer your questions let me explain what I have managed to do as an interim.  In settings I switched off Accelerate 3D Graphics under Display option.  The magic mouse is now functioning well with only  occasional lock up / freeze and not quite as responsive as one would expect sometimes although without any significant lag now. 

Additionally I received some suggestions from VMWare Technical Support and followed those, which were;

- Updated the video_wddm driver

- Unchecked then rechecked 'Compatibility with Fusion 5 or higher' setting.

- Updated and reinstalled VMware Tools

Responses:

1) The slow response is best described as an extreme lag, that is the mouse curser moves very slowly and misses what you expect to be the curser target.  For example if I am targeting a menu button the curser travels very slowly in the direction you have moved the mouse and then misses the target and continues to move beyond it.  Basically it was impossible to work with.

2) Operating system inside VM in Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

3) Mac OS is OS X 10.8.2

4) Yes I can confirm that the regression is only in 5.0.2, I used 4.1.4 nearly everyday with the exact same operating system in the VM and did not experience this issue with the magic mouse.  Note:  At time of reply had not re-installed 4.1.4 but am responding based on actual experience pre upgrade to 5.0.2 v experience with 4.1.4.

5) In Unity Mode, which is what I used all the time in 4.1.4.  I am currently working in Window mode with Accelerate 3D Graphics off and the performance is near perfect.  The extreme lag issues reported in my first post were in Unity Mode.

6) No, unfortunately it is not reproducible now.  I have tried to revert to the original settings, 3D graphics on, Unity mode, etc and this morning I cannot repeat the extreme mouse curser lag.  I suspect one or more of the steps I performed above have resolved the issue, at least I hope that is the case.

7) VMware tools are up to date.

😎 Occasionally I see both cursers typically when the virtual mouse curser appears frozen.  For the most part I only see the virtual curser (as one should) when in a virtual program / window, but there was also a lag or brief freeze transferring from the virtual to OS work space.  Not sure if that will make sense to you but basically it is like losing the OS mouse curser for a short period of time, it leaves you looking all over your workspace to find the OS curser?

9) I have probably answered this above but it appears as both a speed and displacement problem, that is the curser moves very slowly and misses that expected destination or target

10) Not using a retina display.  I am using an extended desk top from early 2011 15" MBP with LCD 1680 x 1050 extended to Apple Thunderbolt Display LCD 2560 x 1440.  Virtual Machine on the Apple Display.

For now it appears as if the problem is resolved, if it returns I will be sure to advise here.

Thanks again, best Regards

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for your reply.

Does the problem happen when you use multiple overlapping Windows in Outlook in the VM in Unity mode?

Can you shutdown the VM, add this line to the .vmx file

mks.noColorHostCursor = "FALSE"

then restart the VM and see if that helps?

0 Kudos