stonevil
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 4 doesn't support Lion full screen mode

Hi,

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/migrate.html

"Designed for OS X Lion"

This is not true!

VMware Fusion 4 doesn't support Lion full screen mode!

Please fix this!

Thank you,

Myroslav.

0 Kudos
37 Replies
mdelvecchio
Contributor
Contributor

clueless87 wrote:

To be honest, when I read "Built for Lion" or whatever they say, this is essentially the only feature I imagined, such a shame its been left out!

ditto - Lion Fullscreen mode is the ONLY thing i thought that could have meant. very disappointed it isn't native...

0 Kudos
realpdm
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hopeful this is just a bug and they'll fix it with a point release.

For what its worth,  I evaluated Parallels and they provide a checkbox to pick which behavior you want. By default it seems to use the Lion full screen style, but if you turn off a checkbox it will full screen in the old way. Seems like that would be a good option for people to work around the multi monitor problems of Lion full screen modes while allowing rest of Lion users to enjoy it working as expected with other applications.

http://ruminate.net/tmp//Parallels_fullscreen_options-20110920-103903.jpg

0 Kudos
AMacUser2011101
Contributor
Contributor

If I hadn't upgraded, then I think I would change to Parallels, even though I have had this on my Mac since its launch. So much for customer loyaly. Now if they were in the App Store, a done deal!!

0 Kudos
vslavik
Contributor
Contributor

And the complete lack of any reaction from VMware in whole week doesn't exactly instill confidence, does it? Great customer support, this.

0 Kudos
wtm201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I requested a refund was denied:

Thank you for your Support Request.
Unfortunately I would be unable to process a refund for VMware Fusion 4.
You can select "Full Screen" by selecting "View" on the top toolbar or select the arrows in the upper right hand corner of the virtual machine if you are currently in Single Window View.
If you are unable to use these features in VMware Fusion 4, you can file a technical support request.
I have set this ticket to automatically close in 24 hours but please email me back if you have additional questions or concerns.

I will be taking this up with my credit card company.

0 Kudos
topplay
Contributor
Contributor

clueless87 wrote:

I was really dissapointed with this too, however there is a very simple way round this that doesn't need any additional software installed.

All I have done is put my vm in a new space and assigned it to that space. Then by using VMWare's built in fullscreen mode Windows shows up nicely fullscreen on a space that I can swipe to and from!

Heres a wee guide I knocked up with screenshots!:

http://fadeinfuture.net/VMWARElion/

Hope it is actually what you guys mean!

Ewen

The problem with this is that it does not prevent other apps or other vms from invading the space that you have put the vm in.

0 Kudos
topplay
Contributor
Contributor

For what its worth,  I evaluated Parallels and they provide a checkbox to pick which behavior you want. By default it seems to use the Lion full screen style, but if you turn off a checkbox it will full screen in the old way. Seems like that would be a good option for people to work around the multi monitor problems of Lion full screen modes while allowing rest of Lion users to enjoy it working as expected with other applications.

http://ruminate.net/tmp//Parallels_fullscreen_options-20110920-103903.jpg

Please do this VMware! Absence of this feature is the only reason I am holding off upgrading to Fusion 4 and considering switching to Parallels.

0 Kudos
Strongbow201110
Contributor
Contributor

Not True, VM Fusion 4 does support Lion in full screen mode.

I have it running full screen without issues in Lion.

Check your VM processor and memory settings. I found Fusion 4 is a pig for memory compared to Fusion 3.1.3.

I had to ramp up my RAM allocation from 50% of physical to almost 90% before Windows 7 64bit worked smoothly in full screen with Aero & Aero peek features and 3D Graphics ON.

I use Win 7 for AutoCAD and the 3D Graphics feature got screwed when I had set memory to 4.1GB, it worked fine under Fusion 3.1.3 but not in Fusion 4. Then I decide to increased memory allocation to 5.1GB in VM settings, that is when everything started to work smoothly again.

I must say Fusion 3.1.3 was the best so far, maybe somemore tweaking is required on Fusion 4 but ah well..

0 Kudos
havema1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 in my Mac mini and the only way to get VMware 4.0.1 to run Mac OS X 10.7.1 guest in full screen is to first boot VMware in Single Window, _then_ switch to Full Screen.

Booting 10.7.1 guest straight to Full Screen does not work because then the 10.7.1 login screen is briefly shown, but then it is scrambled and unusable.

Is there a fix coming for this?

0 Kudos
topplay
Contributor
Contributor

Strongbow wrote:

Not True, VM Fusion 4 does support Lion in full screen mode.

Well it has its own full screen mode which still works in Lion. But it does not support Lion's native full screen mode. Lion's native full screen mode has certain advantages (and disadvantges) already discussed in previous comments. A better title for this thread may have included the phrase 'Lion's native full screen mode'.

0 Kudos
Strongbow201110
Contributor
Contributor

After my upgrade from Fusion 3.1.3 I noticed that Fusion 4 did not automatically set the full screen resolution of Windows 7 in my MBP to it's native eventhough when Fusion 3.1.3 was used the settings was never changed. I had to manually go into Control Panel in Win 7 to set up the correct full native screen settings.

Also, Fusion 4 seems not to use Integrated Intel HD Video on my MBP's, it prefers to use the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics card based on Gfxcard Ver2.1 report, this was the same on Fusion 3.1.3 too. Not sure if this is what your are referring to as "Lion's full screen mode advantages.."

0 Kudos
wtm201110141
Contributor
Contributor

@Strongbow This thread might make more sense to you if you read up on Lion's full screen mode:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/full-screen.html

People are upset because Fusion 4 is marketed as "designed for Lion" but doesn't support one of Lion's main features.

0 Kudos
steve76
Contributor
Contributor

I swiched to Parallels and it looks like it was a good decision.

0 Kudos
Acco
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the devs for a much improved Lion full screen mode in the latest version - it works exactly as we'd hoped.

0 Kudos
Idstein
Contributor
Contributor

I agree on every detail the newest update brings to VMWare Fusion. Now I can trash Parallels and start working more efficiently with Fusion!

Additionally, I would to expose our (me and many colleagues) appreciaction to all hard working developers at VMWare labs. You've done an excellent job and exceeded yourself. Well done!

0 Kudos
RustyBrainpan
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using Fusion since it came out.  I run multiple full screen VMs on a 3x monitor setup and Version 4.1 completely breaks it.  Version 4 also has multiple significant issues with USB.  I solved the issue myself - switched to Parallels 7 over the weekend.  It FULLY supports Lion full screen, has more configuration options for the VMs and is in every way superior to the current version of Fusion.  Quite frankly I just don't think VMWare gives a damn about Fusion any more.  As a frustrated VMWare user, you can upgrade to Parallels 7 for $29.  Just google "the frustrated fusion user".  Now lets see how long it takes VMWare to delete this post - if they in fact give a damn.

0 Kudos
Astie
Contributor
Contributor

Me too.  I've been using Fusion happily since it was in beta, but 4.1 has completely messed things up.  Fortunately Parallels has implemented full screen the right way, so my VMs are all converted to Parallels now.

Could the Fusion developers should purchase a copy of Parallels to see how full screen should work?  It's only $29.95 is you have a Fusion serial number.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The good news is they didn't delete your post.  Alas the bad news is it's April and the full-screen feature of fusion is as rubbish as ever.

Using it in full screen with two monitors is a miserable ex[eroemce.  You can't have any other applications in front of the screen,  so utilities to screenshot,  measure widths,  colour droppers,  Safari... nothing works.  It's so frustrating as earlier versions of Fusion worked really well.

It's like VMWare have just grown bored and given up.

Fix it.  Please.

0 Kudos