VMware Communities
devaudp
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 4.0.1 How start a VM automatically when Fusion start

Hello World,

In Fusion 3.x it was possible to defined a VM as "Preferred or Default" and when fusion start this VM was start automatically.

Is it possible in Fusion 4.x ? I don't found ...

Kind regards and thanks for a solution Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Seems the feature has dropped. But there are two ways I know:

1. Go to Mac System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items, add your Virtual machine to the login items, so that when you login in your Mac, the VM will run.

Note: This workaround is limited that you have to run your VM when you login in your Mac.

2. Create a Automator workflow. First drag your VM to Automation app, and then from left panel's Actions, find Files & Folders -> Open Finder Items, and drag it to the end of the workflow. Try the Run on the right top to verify if it works. And then save a Automator script. Then each time you just need to double click the automator script.

Hope it helps.

Screen Shot 2011-09-20 at 2.40.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2011-09-20 at 2.43.04 AM.png

devaudp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tracywang, automator is a cool workaround !!! Nice ! Smiley Wink

Kind regards

Philippe

0 Kudos
youngjm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The other option is to drag your VM file to the dock on the right side and click that to open.  I think this is a big ooops on vmware's side by removing this feature.  They thought they were helping out more folks who enable this feature by accident and did not know how to turn it off vs those of us who rely upon it.  [Shakes head in confusion]

0 Kudos