VMware Communities
dcorsi
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 3 & Win 7 Boot Camp & Aero questions...

I am running a 2007 Macbook with Snow Leopard, a X3100 graphics chipset, a Core 2 Duo 2.2 ghz and 4 GB RAM. I understand that Fusion 3.0 does not support Aero in Win 7 with the X3100. That said I have a few questions...

1. I intend to install Win 7 to a Boot Camp partition mainly so that if I ever need / desire the fast and full (read: Aero) Win 7 experience I can get to it. If I create a VM to use my Boot Camp Win 7 install will the VMware tools that are installed cause Aero to not work not only in the VM itself but also when I run the Boot Camp install directly? A quick google search indicates that this is or was a problem with VMware 2.0 and am hoping this has been corrected.

2. Do I get the full VMware fusion experience when running off a Boot Camp install, ie. full unity, the new launcher menu etc.? I understand that the only thing I lose are the snapshot ability right?

3. What other disadvantages come from running VMWare from a Boot Camp install? Is it slower or have other issues compared to install directly to a virtual machine?

Thanks for answering these questions. I run VMWare 2.0 now with XP and no Boot Camp, but badly want to have the Aero experience with Win 7 on occasion. I basically want to use Boot Camp to allow my X3100 chipset to run Aero when I need it directly and use the new VMWare Fusion 3.0 to directly launch some quick apps via Unity when I don't need or want the full Windows UI.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies