VMware Communities
JamesToohey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 3 Installing Applications Problem

Hi there,

Whenever I try to install an application to my Windows XP virtual machine through VMware fusion, the installation fails. I have tried to install Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, both failing. I have tried both mounting the ISOs and using official discs. Attached is the message I get when I try to install MS Word.

Note: When I first installed the virtual machine I installed Visual Basic 6, which works fine to this day.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Again not a Fusion issue per se and you need to defer to Microsoft for a solution.

Have a look at the following and this was just the top three when searching for the "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" error:

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when you install a program in Wi...

Error message when you try to add or remove a program on a computer that is running Windows XP or Wi...

"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to install Office

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I really do not see this as a Fusion issue per se since Fusion does not exert any real control over this. In other words you need to troubleshoot this just as if it was a failure on a Physical Machine and as such the issue is a Microsoft issue either at the Guest OS level or the Guest Application level.

JamesToohey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well when I have the disc in it seems as if the drive isn't even spinning it.

Say I were to troubleshoot this as a Windows issue, do you have any ideas?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would start by reviewing the installation logs found in: %TEMP%

How did you make the ISO Images? Use the notes below...

====================

Notes: Creating an ISO Image of the CD/DVD Disc

When using Disk Utility in order to have a bootable ISO Image you should select CD/DVD Master with no encryption in which case by default it will have a .cdr file extension and in version 1.1 of Fusion and later does not need to be changed to .iso although one can if one chooses to. A default .dmg image is compressed and is not bootable although an uncompressed .dmg will boot if changed to .iso and of course the source CD/DVD must be bootable in the first place.

To create an ISO Image using Disk Utility...

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive.

2. Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).

3. Select the CD or DVD disc in the list of disks and volumes.

4. Choose File > New > "Disk Image from (Name of Disc)."

5. Type a name for the disc image.

6. Choose "DVD/CD master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

7. Choose "none" from the Encryption pop-up menu.

8. Click Save.

0 Kudos
JamesToohey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: Error code 1601 for this component means "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Again not a Fusion issue per se and you need to defer to Microsoft for a solution.

Have a look at the following and this was just the top three when searching for the "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" error:

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when you install a program in Wi...

Error message when you try to add or remove a program on a computer that is running Windows XP or Wi...

"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to install Office

0 Kudos
JamesToohey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers mate think I got it sorted now. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos