VMware Communities
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMware Fusion 2.0.6 beta with fixes for Snow Leopard now available

I am pleased to announce that VMware Fusion 2.0.6 beta 1 is now available and resolves multiple problems when running on Snow Leopard hosts. We are making this beta build available now to let users get the most out of VMware Fusion 2 today while we finalize our Snow Leopard testing.

VMware Fusion 2.0.6 beta 1 fixes the following problems:

• Mouse losing focus on Snow Leopard hosts

• Driverless printing fails after an upgrade install of Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Software Update

• VMware Fusion 2 claims to be unlicensed after upgrading to Snow Leopard

• Fix corrupt Windows application icons in Unity on Snow Leopard hosts

• Slow 3D graphics on Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards running Snow Leopard

• Installation would fail in some cases due to permissions problems

• Sound would stop playing after virtual machine is resumed

Click here to download the VMware Fusion 2.0.6 beta for Snow Leopard!

0 Kudos
37 Replies
lucco78
Contributor
Contributor

FUSION 2.0.6 an Snow Leopard (10.6.1)

I've again a problem that 2.0.5 resolved....

The VMWare tool in XP Professional crash, and i can't do copy/paste thru my MAC and WIN XP.

In the previous version of VMWare tools (7.9.6) this bug was resolved, but now whit VMWare tools 7.9.7 the problem it's back, in 2 iMac's at work...

Can i re-install VMWare TOOLS of 2.0.5 in the 2.0.6 ? How can i do this?

THANKS!!!

0 Kudos
MarkSysDyn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've been running the e.x.p (build 184177) version on my MacPro with snow leopard and things seem to be working fine EXCEPT that copy/paste between the VM and MacOS does not work. Is there an update I should install which might fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mglish
Contributor
Contributor

I have sporadic copy/paste difficulties even between Windows applications using 2.0.6.

0 Kudos
Xipper
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the 2.0.6 beta, however I am unable to get the Installer to process the file. I double-click the package and Installer opens, but it never proceeds or displays the installation window.

If I select to show the instaler log window, I see the following but it never proceeds:

Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-572
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: @(#)PROGRAM:Installer PROJECT:Installer-430.1
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Hardware: MacBookPro3,1 @ 2.40 GHz (x 2), 6144 MB RAM
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: TMPDIR=/var/folders/PB/PBepDUcQGNycKgEanoQlwE+++TI/-Tmp-/
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: SHELL=/bin/bash
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: HOME=/Users/russel
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: USER=russel
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: LOGNAME=russel
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-LxHrrx/:0
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-9cZIP5/Listeners
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-Dyi4n1/Render
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
Sep 25 09:16:43 rc-mbp Installer[3247]: Env: COMMAND_MODE=unix2003

There are no useful updates to the system logs either:

9/25/09 9:16:43 AM installHelper[3246] Resource name Install VMware Fusion, type pkg, use localized 0.
9/25/09 9:16:43 AM installHelper[3246] Got resource path /Users/russel/Desktop/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg.
9/25/09 9:16:43 AM Installer[3247] @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-572
9/25/09 9:16:43 AM Installer[3247] @(#)PROGRAM:Installer PROJECT:Installer-430.1
9/25/09 9:16:43 AM Installer[3247] Hardware: MacBookPro3,1 @ 2.40 GHz (x 2), 6144 MB RAM
9/25/09 9:16:43 AM Installer[3247] Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
lucco78
Contributor
Contributor

And when you have copy/paste problema, how you resolve it? Shutting down Windows?

0 Kudos
Xipper
Contributor
Contributor

Update - I was able to get the installer to work by running it with elevated priveleges from command line.

Steps:

1. Mount Vmware Fusion disk image

2. Open terminal, and cd to /Volumes/VMware Fusion/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources (path may vary)

3. Execute: sudo installer -verbose -pkg ./Install\ VMware\ Fusion.pkg -target /

The installation completed and all seems to be well at this point.

0 Kudos
eobet
Contributor
Contributor

I have corrupt FILE TYPE icons, and not application icons, and 2.0.6 did not fix these.

Quite bloody annoying! Anyone have a workaround?

0 Kudos
SinnedKazclaw
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding mouse freezes, I have found it useful to "Command + Tab" to another application and back to gain the mouse back. With a little practice, you can get extremely proficient at it and helps to keep your productivity up. Of course a final fix to the issue would be welcome too. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

The release note is a bit misleading. The fixed icons are the file type / document icons created for the Windows applications. The app icons themselves were fine.

In order for the fixed icons to be re-published, you need to run the VM again. If you want to make sure that the corrupted icons are removed first, delete the Applications folder from the VM bundle.

0 Kudos
eobet
Contributor
Contributor

I believe the bundle you reference is for me /Users/eobet/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm

In that package was indeed an Applications folder, but it was empty. Deleting it did clear out all the garbled icons though, and running the VM again did add back the Windows XP icons.

Weird but it worked, thank you!

Still, I did encounter the need to alt-tab twice in order to get mouse input again, but that might have been due to Windows XP still loading and being a bit slow...

0 Kudos
tomob
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed the 2.0.6 beta and get a line under the windows screen that says "vm tools is out of date " I followed the directions of going to the Virtual machine>Install VMwear tools menu" nothing appears to happen and the message stays. what am I doing wrong? How do I fix it?

0 Kudos
Wobu
Contributor
Contributor

Where is everyone getting the beta from?

I've downloaded from the link at the beginning of this post many many times and each time I get a corrupted DMG that won' open in Finder.

I've tried this on different computers connected to different ISPs so I don't think it's my inet connection. I can download the official 2.0.5 DMG with no trouble at all.

This is really puzzling.

0 Kudos
funkmyer
Contributor
Contributor

are there plans to get the video drivers WDDM compatible so Aero will work in Windows 7?

0 Kudos
feamster
Contributor
Contributor

In an attempt to install the VMTools from scratch I removed the tools and then tried to install them and the installation can't find the tpprn.dll file for the i386 architecture. Looks like you have a japanese and german version of the DLL but no Tpprn.dll in the I386 directory. There IS one in the AMD64 directory but wrong architecture. I'm using XP SP3 32 bit flavor.

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not loose the cursor (focus) with Snow Leopard and 2.05.

But the beta "fixed" it, so I do!

Cmd-TAB is ok, but if I switch apps with the application switcher connected to my mouse center button, there is no cursor in VMWare.

0 Kudos
Wobu
Contributor
Contributor

Any chance of getting an official reply here?

I have downloaded the beta many many times: it always comes out corrupt with an invalid checksum. I have tried on multiple computers over the past few days.

Is the file corrupt on VMware's side? How are others getting theirs? What is going on here?

0 Kudos
albfran
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Pat, but after having installed the 2.0.6. beta 1 version on my MacBookAir with OSX 10.6.1, and set off the 3D option, the XP hosted under Fusion is still very-very slow. While when I used the V. 2.0.5 under OSX 10.5 all was nice. What to do ? uninstall VMware Fusion ? Is it possible I'm the only user in this situation ? so that nobody at VMWare has time to invest on this problem ? Best regards, Albfran.

0 Kudos
BocaBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Two problems I've encountered with 2.0.6. I'm running 10.6.1 of Snow Leopard.

1. Bridged networking does not seem to work. I have to switch to NAT to get an address. I'm not relying on wireless but using a hard-wired connection.

2. I was able to update VMWare Tools in my Windows 7 RC1 install, but unable to get it to update in XP SP3. What I notice is that when I click on "Install VMWare Tools" the CD icon engages to the CD drive, but the install never starts. Canceling the install reverses that action.

0 Kudos