VMware Communities
McTTRS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 13 unable to create MacOS VM?

Followings steps described in https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/13/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-474FC78E-4E77-42B7-A1C6... results in dialog to select the only entry in a list recovery partition 13.0.1 in my case (product only certified for 13.0?). The selection of a continue results in the 'Creating your Virtual Machine' progress dialog which after many tries as long as 20 minutes never progresses at all in the preparing phase of "Creating" tab of the dialog. Is Fusion certified for MacOS 13.0.1?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah please for now, use the iso file which you generated using .app.

Can you please edit your vmx file as follows after powering off VM. 

• Replace “e1000e” with “vmxnet3”.  in vmx file for below entry and change it as follows.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

And try again. On our end we haven't faced any issue in running Ventura Guests, please once try above and let us know how it goes. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Intel or Apple Silicon Mac?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you're on an intel mac, download the installer from apple and use that to install.  As Technogeezer hints, it's not supported on M1.

0 Kudos
McTTRS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is an Intel Mac. 

Downloaded the Install Ventura app from the App Store and converted it to an iso per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9RzdPzgVBs. I've tried to add it as a VM several times with no joy. I go through the installer but always end up with a VM that terminates with dialog in the attached screen shot.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Don't convert it.  Just drag/drop the installer .app to the new VM wizard.

0 Kudos
McTTRS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried that before I tried conversion but it resulted in the dialog in the screenshot.

0 Kudos
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah please for now, use the iso file which you generated using .app.

Can you please edit your vmx file as follows after powering off VM. 

• Replace “e1000e” with “vmxnet3”.  in vmx file for below entry and change it as follows.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

And try again. On our end we haven't faced any issue in running Ventura Guests, please once try above and let us know how it goes. 

McTTRS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked like a champ.  Thanks for the help.  Hope VMware fixes this.

0 Kudos
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes this will be fixed in future release.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
pkeller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll hitch a ride on this thread, since I'm trying to do the same thing. I also created an ISO, using this shell script, as suggested by @Technogeezer. I then created a custom VM with the macOS 13 profile; my only settings changes were to disable side-channel mitigations and set the startup disk to the ISO file. The installation starts out well enough (see first screenshot), but around the "12 minutes remaining" mark, the installer silently crashes and the VM reboots off the ISO image.

I've also attached a screenshot of the last part of the Installer Log (can't copy it in text form, because I don't have VMware Tools... ;-), and I've highlighted the section I think is relevant. All I can get out of it is that the restart appears to have been delayed because it was running ReportCrash.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
pkeller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P.S. (why does "Edit reply" do nothing??) I of course also edited the VMX file, as described here.

0 Kudos
Karhu267
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 13 Pro (Intel) crashes the host OS, macOS 13, before a VM and .vmx file is created. How do I edit the .vmx file if the creation process never gets that far?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@Karhu267 

You obviously can't do anything with a VM if Fusion 13 is crashing the host. Which is extremely rare, and is an indication that something else is going on with your Mac. 

What's are the configuration details on the Mac that you're trying to run Fusion on (the info from About This Mac would be helpful).

Is this Fusion install a fresh installation with no prior Fusion version, or has this Mac had many upgrades from older versions of both Fusion and macOS?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos