VMware Communities
Pandahorn
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 13.0.2 cannot be installed in macOS Sonoma

After Run Fusion 13.0.2 installer, nothing happened (only login item for background is popup for installation).

Is 13.0.2 supported on macOS Sonoma ? Or when is the new fusion released for macOS Sonoma ?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

VMware usually requires a new Fusion version to support new macOS versions. VMware does not list Fusion 13 as supported on Sonoma.

The next version of Fusion that should officially support Sonoma is anticipated to be released later this year. VMware has stated it will be an update to Fusion 13. VMware has not stated when exactly it will be released.

In the meantime,  I suggest you look at the Fusion 2023 Tech Preview public beta. Users are reporting that it will work on Sonoma.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Pandahorn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Will try on technical preview.

BTW, is technical preview can be updated/upgraded to GA release in the future?

0 Kudos
Liroy
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer 
"VMware usually requires a new Fusion version to support new macOS versions. VMware does not list Fusion 13 as supported on Sonoma."

It may be a bit confusing as on the downloads page it just says "for MacOS 12+", implying everything 12 and higher is compatible.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It’s always helpful to consult the Fusion host operating system compatibility list https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571 for the official word on what macOS versions are supported by Fusion versions. If the combination isn’t on that list, it’s not tested or supported by VMware. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Pandahorn wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Will try on technical preview.

BTW, is technical preview can be updated/upgraded to GA release in the future?

You should uninstall the Tech Preview then install the next version of Fusion when it’s released. Any virtual machines created on the Tech Preview will not be touched and will run on the next version. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ElAladdin
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 13.0.2 can be installed on macOS Sonoma:

you have to drag die dmg File on the desktop and then install it!

HuangHaiqing
Contributor
Contributor

New version Mac OS doesn’t support 13.0.2, vm running on it died frequently and triggers vmdk corruption. Please release new verified fusion version as fast as can.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I’ve not heard of Sonoma breaking Fusion to the point of VM’s dying or VMDK corruption, even if Fusion 13 isn’t officially supported on Sonoma.

I’d try the 2023 Tech Preview if you’re running Sonoma. If you’re seeing this behavior on the 2023 Tech Preview the it needs to be reported to VMware ASAP in the 2023 Tech Preview Discissions forum. 

What Mac are you running, and what Sonoma release? Also do you have a vmware.log file of the VM that’s having errors. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
naruminzzz
Contributor
Contributor

I also experienced the same thing as you. Moreover, it is no longer possible to install version 12 again after manually uninstalling it (I have not tried versions below 11). This means I can't use Fusion on my Mac. I will be using Fusion 2023 Tech Preview public beta for a while.

• iMac Pro 2017 (3 GHz 10core Intel Xeon W)
0 Kudos
HuangHaiqing
Contributor
Contributor

Sonoma 14.0 with MacBook Pro 2018 model HW. VMware fusion is 13.0.2. No VMware log collected.
0 Kudos
HuangHaiqing
Contributor
Contributor

IMG_3120.jpeg

0 Kudos
nstapley
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded my mac to somona and my fusion starting corrupting on my externally attached drives, after much troubleshooting I purchased a new USB 2/3 HDD but formatted as HFS+ rather than the other drive which is FAT and worked fine for years, copied over the virtual machines and all works without any corruption issues. So I don't have to downgrade to pre-somona just yet

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Known issue with Fusion 13 and up, requires APFS or HFS+.  FAT and especially exFAT are problematic.

NarlySoftware
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem. Every one of my vms are corrupted the 2nd time i run them after I upgraded to Sonoma. I just recently purchased the upgrade to 13 thinking this would be fine. I've got big issues not being able to run any of my vms.. 
Please send a patch this is important. This is enough to after being with vmware for many years to leave. It's stopping my work.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If the same problem is that the VM's aren't on an APFS or HFS+ formatted drive, the fix is to move them to a properly formatted drive.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

If the same problem is that the VM's aren't on an APFS or HFS+ formatted drive, the fix is to move them to a properly formatted drive.

Also make sure that your VMs are NOT in a location that's being synced to a cloud service (e.g. iCloud, especially when you've opted to turn on syncing Desktop and Documents folders, Dropbox, OneDrive). That also is the fast path to a corrupted VM.

The fix there is to make sure they're moved to a local folder not sync'd to the cloud. 

And don't run a VM from a network file share. Also a fast path to problems.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
NarlySoftware
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded my fusion to 13.02 then a few days later upgraded my Mac to Sonoma..

It's ok now because I uninstalled my fusion and purchased Parallels and I'm able to rebuild windows that I can use..

I'm gone now from VMware. It was a good run for many years but the fact is it pissed me off.

0 Kudos
MollyE
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, this did not work. Please any other ideas ?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you be a bit more specific on the difficulty you’re having since we have a couple of different problems being reported in this thread. Need to know exactly what your macOS Sonoma version is, what language you’re using, what Mac model, what Fusion version, and what you’ve done and what you see as the error  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos