VMware Communities
NPattnaik
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 13.0.1 (for Intel-based and Apple silicon Macs): Fails on my Mac M1

VMware Fusion 13.0.1 (for Intel-based and Apple silicon Macs)

As the actual label on the Image says this is for both Intel and Apple silicon-based, I tried it on my Mac M1 13.1 (22C65). But I am getting the below error:

"This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host."

When I googled it, in the forum it says it does not support Mac silicon as below:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/This-virtual-machine-cannot-be-powered-on...

So, I am kind of confused. Pls, guide me if I can still be able to run this on my mac m1 laptop.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Fusion runs.. and works on M1.

However.. what you are trying to do is to run a Windows 11 virtual machine that only works on an Intel Processor.
An Apple Silicon based Mac can only run virtual machines that use an Arm Processor.
There's a Windows 11 version that uses the Arm processor, so you have to use that instead.

You cannot take Virtual machines made for the intel processor and use them on Arm. It simply won't work.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos