VMware Communities
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion 12

It is the time of year when VMware and Parallels release their next versions. Therefore with the release of Parallels 15 I am wondering when Fusion 12 will be released. Of particular interest is that Parallels 15 has DirectX 11 support which VMware Fusion users have been asking for. Here is the Parallels 15 DirectX info blurb..

"Version 15 supports DirectX 9, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11—all via Apple Metal®.* With the addition of DirectX 11, you can now run graphic-intensive applications and games, such as Autodesk 3ds Max 2020, Lumion, ArcGIS Pro, Master Series, FIFA 19, Age of Empires, Fallout 4 and more."

Since I am a Fusion user I would not like to have to move to Parallels to get comparable DirectX capability. I am thinking it is time for VMware to show up with respect to Parallels 15.

I know the "we don't share" routine, but a lot of VMware Fusion users expected VMware to get to DirectX 11 before Parallels and so I, as one of them, am a little disappointed. I am hoping Fusion 12 will be worth the additional wait. Perhaps VMware mgmt could throw us a bone or two?

25 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Download the trial and install it.  No charge will happen.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

... However, the Applications Menu doesn’t seem to have been updated for Dark Mode (at least on 10.14.6, it remains unchanged: the same both in light and dark mode): is there a reason for this? Hopefully, will it be updated in a future release?

0 Kudos
wackybacky
Contributor
Contributor

wow, that's a killer feature...

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Well, I‘d rather say that the lack of dark mode in the Applications Menu is a half-baked feature and creates an inconsistent user experience: it should really be corrected, as soon as possible...

0 Kudos
cesarcafe
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't care less for DX11 (Platform-proprietary -> send to trash -> empty trash -> really sure? -> Yes). And yes, I say the same for Metal (no Apple blind fan here, just an Apple fan when they do good things).

But, as a multi-platform developer (using virtual machines during development) I care a lot for Vulkan (MoltenVK on Mac). So, please, please please: Implement Vulkan support soon in Fusion, as a hook into MoltenVK!!!

0 Kudos
trukhinyuriMTS
Contributor
Contributor

It works cool. I switch from Parallels for all tasks now. Next need support for DirectX12 UltimateSmiley Happy

0 Kudos