VMware Communities
e-nando
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 12 on Big Sur cpu stalls

I‘ve been using a Linux virtual machine (Home Assistsnt) on VMware Fusion 11 (Catalina) for a while and it worked flawlessly. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded all my machines to Big Sur and moved to Fusion 12.

The VM boots ok, but every 3 hours (and it seems to be very regular) the cpu usage rises over a few minutes to 100% and there‘s an rcu detected cpu stall. There‘s no memory problem / leak and I‘ve tried numerous combinations of # cpus / memory / machine type / compatibility etc. Tried generating error reports but VMware just hung...

After a frustrating week I thought I‘d try Parallels as an alternative and the same VM (just converted, only had to change network adapter) worked perfectly with no cpu stalls. What is going wrong with VMware?

Other issue is that bridged networking corrupts packets (both under VMware and Parallels), but shared networking works...

Would like to make this work again with VMware, but have run out of ideas. The cpu stalls show no stack dump and, as I said before, the same VM works fine with Fusion 11 (Catalina) and Parallels (Big Sur).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@e-nando 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to Fusion Discussions. The {code} area where you posted this is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e-nando
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Running MacOS on non apple hardware is an EULA violation and is prohibited from discussion in these forums.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@e-nando 

As this may be hardware related it would be beneficial to post details of what you are using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos