VMware Communities
jadechu
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion (12.2.0 and above) mass deployment package failed on macOS Monterey 12.3

Hello,

VMware Fusion mass deployment package (created from VMware Fusion 12.2.0 and 12.2.3 for Intel-based Mac) didn't seem to work on macOS Monterey 12.3.  The installers were created following the steps: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2058680

Looked like the issue was caused by the Fusion_Client_Install.pkg located in volumes/VMware Fusion/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg/Contents/Packages. The post install script in the Fusion_Client_Install.pkg is a Python script which might be an issue running in Monterey 12.3.

Could you please advise how to get this fixed?

Thank you!

32 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Some random thoughts off the top of my head..

Could you work around this by deploying a python2 implementation and making sure that it's accessible as "python"? I'm thinking something like Homebrew or MacPorts

Or a symlink from python for somewhere in $PATH to python3. However you have to make sure that what that script does will work with python3.

Or file a bug report with Apple to add a link of python to python3?

Can the script within the package be modified (first line of script) to point to python3 and not break the deployment package?

File a bug report if you can with VMware on this. You might get some attention here from VMware folks, but it's not guaranteed that they'll see it. VMware does need to fix this due to the change in macOS.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
DimitriosPa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue.

The postscript is python.

The problem is that Apple has removed Python from macOS

the question is, will VMware update the script from python to bash?

Thank you

Txily
Contributor
Contributor

Mass deployment package request quick update

0 Kudos
jadechu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @Technogeezer for the suggestions. It didn't seem the post install script was python3 compatible.  We have a temporary workaround by deploying VMware Fusion app with a license file but it's not an ideal solution.  I believe the bug has been reported to VMwamre by our SLM team.  Hopefully VMware can update the postscript soon. 

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just a note, but this made its way to my desk... bug filed, we'll get a fix out.

Thankfully the changes from python2 to python3 for this script are pretty minimal so we can fix it quickly. I'm not sure about the release timeline at the moment tho, so we may consider releasing the updated script with instructions on how to untar and re-tar the .pkg (which is basically a tar file):

❯ file [...] Deploy\ VMware\ Fusion.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Fusion_Client_Install.pkg
[...] Deploy VMware Fusion.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Fusion_Client_Install.pkg: xar archive compressed TOC: 3903, SHA-1 checksum, contains OpenPGP Public Key

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
joe1776
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michael,

I wanted to ask, what's the status of the bugfix?

Johann

joe1776
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jadechu,

how did you deploy VMware Fusion app with a license file? Where needs the license to be placed?

This would be a good workaround for us. Thank you.

Johann

0 Kudos
jadechu
Contributor
Contributor

We repackaged the following files using a software package creation tool.
- VMware Fusion.app to /Applications
- A license file to /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion. 

Again, this was just a temporary workaround.  
@Mikero  I'd like to hear if there's any update about the bugfix from VMWare. 
0 Kudos
joe1776
Contributor
Contributor

@jadechu Thank you for your explanation. Can you tell me how the license file under /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion has to be named, please? Did you just copy the license key into the file?

ldsmacguy
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates on this from VMware? Looks like we just need a new release of their mass deployment tool that supports Monterey 12.3+ and the fact that Apple removed Python 2.7 support which their mass deployment tool requires.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have a patch that seems to be working internally. (Our own MDM deployment of Fusion is affected by this as well...)

What was/is challenging is that python3 is _not_ included by macOS Monterey 12.3 by default... it's only installed with xcode via `xcode-select --install` nowadays.

So to resolve the issue, we just built the same functionality in a Go binary instead. 

Seems to be working out thus far, still some testing to do to make sure it captures the entirety of what the old python2 script does.

The only real question for us is how quickly can we get such a patch out to the public. Will be keeping folks posted there, but I'm of course pressing for 'as soon as possible'.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
GilH1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
can someone let me know how can I do the workaround step by step?
I am not able to mass deployment VMwarefusion on macOS Monterey 12.3

JHerrinCSU
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on when this version is going to be released?

jamescapen
Contributor
Contributor

Also hoping for an update on this.

DLS1
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know this as well: 

( am having trouble installing on BigSur 11.6.x ) and the post install script appears to be the issue 

in addition   under the file /Users/USERID/Library/Preferences/VMWare Fusion/preferences

I need to set
     pref.autoSoftwareUpdatePermission = "deny
     pref.autoSoftwareUpdatePermission.epoch = ""
     pref.dataCollectionEnabled = "FALSE"
     pref.autoSoftwareUpdatePermission.epoch = "" 

Currently  i 'package' the  edited .mpkg file using  the Jamf packaging tool 

the install copies the MPKG file to a tmp location on the screen then "installs" it 

in the postinstall of the container package  -- for each user - i check under the user directory for the preferences file 

( on a clean install this does not exist so I create the file and write those 4 variables to it ) 

if the file does exist -- ( say this is an upgrade )  I edit/set those four lines as above 

( I don't think this is the best way to get those preferences set for the User really  -- I would much rather be able to edit a .plist for the machine if there is a way to do this ?) 

Can I create a license file Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/VMWare Fusion/  and add a serial number and just Deploy VMware Fusion.app under applications ?  

Thanks for any suggestions 

0 Kudos
wildcard2001
Contributor
Contributor

Any news yet? It's been a few months now!

0 Kudos
DLS1
Contributor
Contributor

they released 12.2.4 on 7/24  but I am not seeing updated documentation wrt the Mass deployment steps yet 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The product manager posted that the mass deployment fix was the only one in 12.4

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Updated instructions for the mass deployment utility may not be necessary. The fix to the issue reportedly replaced the post-installation script written in Python with a compiled binary executable. All the rest of the template looks pretty much the same.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos