VMware Communities
King91OM
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 12.1.0 External Drive USB 3.0 cannot detect

My problem is that any external hard disk will prompt me "This Device cannot start (code 10)". However for pendrive it works. I am still using CatalinaOS. Scared to upgrade to Big Sur in case it doesn't work.

I have did everything I can for to try & troubleshoot this issue. I can get my Toshiba 64GB pendrive to work in Win 7 VM & none of my external drive seems to work (Seagate 1TB external) [Both device format is exFat].

I installed vmware tools as well as Intel USB3.0 Controller Driver. I have also tried using usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE" but it just doesn't seems to work.

Hoping someone can offer me some help as I am out of ideas & Google searches by now.

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 1.04.25 PM.png

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
hrafnl
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to have the identical problem.  I have a Mac Pro running Big Sur.  After having upgraded to VMware Fusion 12.1.0 my old Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive is not recognised by Windows VM.  This external hard drive works fine with native Windows machines and is recognised as well by the Mac.  The attachments  shows the error code from Device Manager.

0 Kudos
King91OM
Contributor
Contributor

@hrafnl, kinda odd for me as all my usb pen-drive works whether it's 3.0 or 2.0. Still trying to find a solution as to why only external HDD is not working. 

philippeannet
Contributor
Contributor

Same here !!!!! (Icy Box, i.e. SATA USB 3.0 bridge from JMicron).

Had to add the usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled="FALSE" line in the VMX for it to work in Fusion Pro 11.5, but since the 12 upgrade, no luck !!   :((

VMs are W7 SP1, both x86 and x64, same issue.

Come on VMWare, fix this !!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos