VMware Communities
coste57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 12.0 does not start after upgrading to Big Sur

I recently updated my iMac to Big Sur, since then I cannot start VMware Fusion 12.0…..
I already disabled mitigations as recommended, however I still cannot start the machine!
I'm getting the message "VMWare Fusion does not support Virtualized Performance counters on this host".  

What is the remedy? 
Thanks

0 Kudos
28 Replies
gmarcangeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

version 11.5.7

i'm quite sure i've downloaded the 12.0 but "this download" was revealed not true.

so this is my version.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If the about box says "11.5.7" then that is what is installed and that will not work on Big Sur.

If you downloaded 12, then it is not properly installed now, not sure why, that is another story.

From the Applications folder, drag VMware Fusion to the bin.
Give your password when it uninstalls VMware Fusion.
Reboot your mac

Download a fresh copy of VMware Fusion from here:
https://vmware.com/go/getfusion

Then go to your Download folder and install VMware Fusion 12 (again, it seems)

After install, a new VMware Fusion should be available in your Applications folder.

Run it.. and see if the menu "VMware Fusion" -> "About" box now lists version 12.1 instead.

If that's the case then your VM should work now.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
inistor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

In Fusion 12.1.0, on Big Sur (on a MBP 2018), 'Enable hypervisor applications' is now working (in 12.0, indeed, it was not working).

Cheers,

Ion

0 Kudos
Lmckin1800
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I recently upgraded by Mac OS to Big Sur.  I am currently running Vmware 11.1.1 and is giving the memory code many other have stated.  My question is if i purchase Vmware 12 and install will this fix the issue or make things more difficult?  I can't lose the data I currently have on virtual machine?  

0 Kudos
cec772
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 12 is free for a "Personal Use" license , so you can try it out before purchase.  Do you need the commercial version?  Since it's a VM you could just make a backup copy just in case, but I haven't heard any issues about data loss or VM corruption. Then downgrade if it isn't working as you expect.  I also recommend making sure your VM's are fully stopped before upgrade or it might be tricky to change the settings (as I ran into which brought me to this thread,  Probably good practice anyway but i was never concerned with it before).

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion 11 does not, and will not, work on Big Sur.  Upgrading to Fusion 12 is the only option.

les1466
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I have read through these answers and I am having what looks like the same problem as a few others.
I have a hi spec MacBook Pro and have VM ware fusion pro 12. it worked perfectly until I just put Big Sur on. Now when I click on fusion to load, it does the spinning ball thing and I get "Application not responding" when I right click. I can force close Vm ware but cannot get it to open to get into settings.... Please tell me if there is another way to get into the settings so I can change the processor details you have give???

I really appreciate your time and reply.

Thanks

Les

0 Kudos
jessehall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem as described above.  Bumping thread for a solution.

0 Kudos
Barbw1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi I have a same problem and suspect its because I did not power off the vm only suspended it.

On trying your suggestion to power off it is still grey out even though i can change the menu as per your suggestion so when choosing power off nothing happens.. 

would you have a further suggestion?

0 Kudos