VMware Communities
coste57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 12.0 does not start after upgrading to Big Sur

I recently updated my iMac to Big Sur, since then I cannot start VMware Fusion 12.0…..
I already disabled mitigations as recommended, however I still cannot start the machine!
I'm getting the message "VMWare Fusion does not support Virtualized Performance counters on this host".  

What is the remedy? 
Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Starting with macOS Big Sur VMware has to use the Hypervisor Framework as is provided by apple.
The result of that is that currently some features do not work on a number of processors (even very current processors!)
The missing features are Performance counters and nested virtualisation.

In order to start your VM you have to go to settings -> Processors & Memory -> open Advanced options and then make sure the following checkboxes are unchecked:
- Enable Hypervisor applications in this virtual machine
- Enable code profiling applications in this virtual machine

wila_0-1605390466868.png

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

28 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Starting with macOS Big Sur VMware has to use the Hypervisor Framework as is provided by apple.
The result of that is that currently some features do not work on a number of processors (even very current processors!)
The missing features are Performance counters and nested virtualisation.

In order to start your VM you have to go to settings -> Processors & Memory -> open Advanced options and then make sure the following checkboxes are unchecked:
- Enable Hypervisor applications in this virtual machine
- Enable code profiling applications in this virtual machine

wila_0-1605390466868.png

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
coste57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil, excellent! Thanks for tour reply, his did. the trick. VM works perfectly fine

0 Kudos
Back2Mac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

My Windows VM is suspended, and I can't resume.  I also can't find a way to completely close it.  I'm unable to make this or any other recommended changes.

Is there a way to kill the VM that I'm overlooking so I can change these settings?

Thank you!

Back2Mac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out.  Alt key allows "Force Shut Down" option.  That did it.  I changed my settings, and I'm back up and running.

Thanks!

coste57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Absolutely correct......that was the first hurdle I had to overcome, since I updated my iMac while Fusion was suspended and had to use the "alt" key to shut down

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For any mac keyboard users - Windows keyboard "Alt" = option key 🙂

--
Wil

0 Kudos
RichieCee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But how is this done if you can't get to VMWare settings? 

If one has already upgraded to Big Sur, you can't get to the virtual machine settings - you can only quit the application!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@ RichieChee

Sounds like you did not upgrade to Fusion 12.
Fusion 11.x does not work under Big Sur.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
cec772
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure from your comment where you are stuck.. but i'll elaborate on above in case it is this:

Problem: if your vm is suspended, you can't make the memory changes until it is shut down... but you can't actually shut down because it won't load the VM... seems like a catch-22.

Solution: Open "Virtual Machine" menu option from the top menu bar, and hold down the 'option' key.. this changes the menu items to show a selection for "Power Off"

Once it is powered off, you can open the settings and change the memory settings as provided above.

0 Kudos
Nisey29
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone, I recently purchased the new the Mac laptop with the A1 chip. Has anyone encountered a failed to power on error message when attempting to run the VM ware?

0 Kudos
gmarcangeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it' sa at all a resolution. vmware quite before I can go to settings.

The only option is to quit.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion is not supported on M1 machine at this time.  Initial support (which is expect) will only allow for ARM based guests, not intel ones.

0 Kudos
gmarcangeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NO ANSWERS YET? MY VIRTUAL MACHINE ARE STOPPED!!!!!

0 Kudos
gmarcangeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I CANNTO SEE THIS SCREEN. THE ONLY OPTION AFTER I STARTED VMWARE IS QUIT THE APPLICATION.

I'M WAITING FOR A SOLUTION.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi gmarcangeli,

A few things.

- You are having a different issue than the person who started this topic, that much is clear from your post. But we don't know much more than that. We also don't know what you tried... and we know almost nothing besides that you are using Big Sur.
- I understand that you are not happy, totally understandable, but writing in CAPITALS is equal to shouting.
- The people helping out in this forum are volunteers (including me) and somehow we don't like to get shouted at.
- The forum is not an official support channel, it is for VMware Fusion users helping out other users. Demanding help from volunteers isn't productive.

What I suggest you to do is to:

- start a new topic and explain in more details what happened, what version of VMware Fusion you are running (or trying to run), what you are seeing (use a screenshot if that helps). Did you upgrade from another version? Did it use to work? What exact apple hardware are you using (Is it a M1 perhaps?). Is this a new install of VMware Fusion, is it an upgrade?

--
Wil

gmarcangeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I udesrstand. really sorry. For me cap letters would be like (help) in cap letters. Please, thank you for your help.

there is not too much in the screenshot.

I have had a working machine in previous MacOS.

I'll be simple:

upgraded to Big Sur. VMware fusion 11.x - the virtual machin won't start. not enough memory.

after the update to VMware fusion 12.0 I obtained only that VMware fusion starts. not the virtual machine.

No access to settings, no access to nothing.

One option. quit the application. I tried also to reinstall the old version. Obviously without success.

personal note: i think it may depend on something in the mac os B.S. control panel. But I still can't focus where the knot might be. Access to the Vmware fusion control panel is completely blocked.

I think It can depends Thank you again.

I am mortified that to express an urgency I have shown my rudeness.

GM Arcangeli

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

OK, so it used to work.

I'm still confused by the "No access to settings, no access to nothing" part.
Normally when VMware Fusion is installed the menu offers a number of options, are you not even seeing a menu like this?

wila_0-1608287814014.png

In other words, does it not have a "File","Edit","View","Virtual Machine", "Window", "Help" menu?

Does it show your VM?
How are you starting VMware Fusion?
From the dock? If so, can you try starting it from the Applications folder in Finder?

--
Wil

0 Kudos
gmarcangeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

fine. I've got the access to settings.

I have enabled in "memory and processors" all the checks below (3 differents or just the first).

Nothing changes.

Virtual machine continue to don't start.

One message persistent. No enough memory. maybe native application locked your memory. (I tried to bring it next to the max limit or the min limit. many times)

Try to reboot.

'Couse such a many many times I rebooted It, my mac It use to reboot itself. 🙂

Thanks.

have a nice day.

GMA

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The "not enough memory" error typically happens when you try to run Fusion 11..

If you look at menu -> VMware Fusion -> About VMware Fusion

What version does it say you have?
--

Wil

0 Kudos