VMware Communities
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion 11

When is the next version of Fusion coming out? WIll it support DirectX 11 or 12? WHich version of OpenGL and OpenCL will it support? Parallesl 14 is now out so I am hoping Fusion 11 is close to being released?

32 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Shhhh...you'll get us all a twitter!

You're right, the Beta 11 is the GM/RC candidate - after installing about this Mac no longer shows 'Beta'.

0 Kudos
JimOQuinn
Contributor
Contributor

I last used Parallels when it was Version 6, I think, so it was a long time ago.  In fact, just last week I was cleaning cruft off my Mac and removed parts of the old Paralles filesystem.

I didn't like Paralles because they fixed major issues in major releases and charged you for them.  I seem to recall a major issue with USB that wasn't fixed in any of the point releases, but was fixed in the next major release which they decided to charge for.  I seem to recall they only increased that practice over time essentially moving major fixes into the major releases for a fee. 

VirtualBox is fine, but incredibly slow.  In fact, I have to say it is pretty robust.  No major issues running any of the dozen different linux distros or Win10, but Lordy if it doesn't take it's sweet time.

I can fire up 10 thin virtual machines via Vagrant with VMware in the time it takes for one to light with VirtualBox.

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pbryanw, why do you consider VMware Fusion a better product than Parallel Desktop? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have always supported upgrade pricing for users 2 major versions old.

So if you're on v7 right now, I would recommend upgrading to v10 before we release v11 so you can get the discount and be auto-upgraded with our 'guarantee' program (which is active right now)

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
yassinex
Contributor
Contributor

Great infos, just in time Smiley Happy

Upgrade to v10 Pro done !

Can't wait to try your next major version next week !

Thanks a lot Michael, appreciated !

Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@VirtualMac2009 - Hi, I feel that both pieces of software are very good, and it comes down to whatever works best for you. It's just that, over time, I started having a few issues with Parallels that made me make the switch to Fusion:

1. Parallels 14 had just being released, so I gave the trial a go, but was unimpressed with the way Parallels popped up an advert every time you started, or resumed, a VM during the trial period. The Fusion trial has been far more unobtrusive in this respect.

2. In the past, I always felt Parallels VMs were much snappier than Fusion ones. However, bugs had started creeping into my Parallels VMs over time, and then I found this guide which greatly helped to speed up my Fusion VMs. So much so, that I don't notice a speed difference between Fusion & Parallels now.

3. I also felt I should reward good business practices, like letting you install Fusion on any machine that you own. Parallels, on the other hand, is restricted to a single machine (I think).

4. Various other little things, like being able to use a keyboard shortcut to enter, and exit, Unity mode in Fusion (I spend a lot of time in Unity). Although though were keyboard shortcuts for Coherence in Parallels - I could never get them to work - and found only the menu bar item worked for me.

So, as I said at the beginning - we're lucky to have two excellent virtualization solutions on macOS for home users. In the end, it came down to the fact that Fusion (and its features) were a better fit for me, (and I was no longer concerned about the speed differences between the two pieces of software).

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

One other big use case is isolation - Fusion can isolate VM's better than Parallels.  For me, that's a big issue.   But agree, it's nice to have two competitive products because it forces innovation.

Fusion 11 is a big functional upgrade over 10 - particularly if you want to use it for video games.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Michael,

Lots of updates on that same day then.

I'm also planning to have a new release for Vimalin as well, so your new Fusion on macOS Mojave can have its VMs automatically backed up too.

(FWIW, it is a free upgrade for existing users)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
e3b0c442
Contributor
Contributor

Curious if you're still on track to release today?

Thank you for your work on an excellent product!

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

BTW, Fusion 11 doesn't seem to automatically support macOS Mojave's dark mode (for example, in the VM Library and in the new Applications Menu): any reason for this...? Will it come as a future update? Just curious...

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It does not support dark mode yet, but we're aiming to get it in a point release.

The issue is this: In order to take advantage of it, you actually have to build your app with the latest version of Xcode which shipped (GA) yesterday.

We can't build our release software (which has to be certified, FIPS compliant, etc etc...) using beta Xcode, so we had to wait until that version of Xcode went GA to start work on it.

Apple made things fairly simple it looks like, so we're hoping this is a trivial code change to support.

The team is working on it as I type this 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Very good! :smileycool::smileyinfo:

0 Kudos
yassinex
Contributor
Contributor

transparency, professionalism ! I like it. kudos to VMF team !