VMware Communities
mcapon
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 11 - Poor Performance on existing Windows 10 VM

This morning I upgraded my MacBook Pro (16gb RAM, 2.9 i7, APFS encrypted with FileVault) to Mojave and also upgraded VMware Fusion from 10.1.3 to 11.

Since doing this, my existing Windows 10 VM (1803), was upgraded with the new VMtools.

Now, I am experiencing very poor performance, best described as laggy and choppy.

Everything, yesterday, under High Sierra 10.13.6 and VMware Fusion 10.1.3 was running great.  The existing Windows 10 VM has 3 cores allocated to it, as well as ~10GB RAM.  The VM is using the UEFI BIOS and the TPM module is installed.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?  Any suggestions on what to try?

Also my network connectivity has seemed to be intermittent and dropping (wired).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That sounds like you're starving the host, but shouldn't have been a problem.  If you drop to 2 cores and 8GB does it improve?

0 Kudos
mcapon
Contributor
Contributor

I can try that, however, I have ran that way for years with no performance issues.  In fact, i utilized 4 cores up until yesterday. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's possible that Mojave is doing something in the background (converting or encrypting the file system for example) - might also try waiting a day or so and see if it settles down.

0 Kudos
grahamberks
Contributor
Contributor

I have similar issues with an existing Linux Mint VM.

Machine isn't doing much. I can see all CPU usage flat near zero.

Now when I start the VM with v11 the fans come on my MBP and high cpu usage.

Never happened with VM v10.

0 Kudos
grahamberks
Contributor
Contributor

Gone back to VM10 and now back to low CPU usage.

Guess come back and try again in a month or two when VM11 is actually ready.

0 Kudos
mcapon
Contributor
Contributor

What was the process like to downgrade back to 10?  I will be doing the same as the performance of the Windows 10 guest is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
grahamberks
Contributor
Contributor

I happen to have CleanMyMac X that removed all components but I assume you can follow https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838

0 Kudos
mcapon
Contributor
Contributor

I just finished downgrading to Fusion 10.1.3 and can happily report that my performance issues are gone.  So, I am in agreement, 11 is not ready.  I'm going to wait for the next several .x releases before upgrading again.

0 Kudos