VMware Communities
wilsonics
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 11.5 - Unable to install upgraded tools in Win10 Guest

Hello Everyone,

I'm having some issues installing the latest VMware Tools in my Windows 10 Guest.  I installed Fusion 11.5 today, and I always get the message after running setup64.exe:

Setup cannot continue.  The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete installation.

I tried to uninstall the currently running tools manually, however, that failed too.

I tried:

Disabling UAC

Running setup64 /c

Running setup /c

reinstalling 11.1

I'm currently running MacOS 10.15.1 as the host.

Attached you'll find 3 log files that were in my %temp% directory.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Product issue, moved to VMware Fusion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Most likely it is the VC runtime installer playing up.

Try to install those separately.

First install the VC runtime x86 then reboot, install the VC runtime x64, reboot and after that install the latest VMware Tools as you initially tried to do.

It's a major PITA to be honest.

Here's a download link for those runtime libraries.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wilsonics
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Wil.

I tried installing the x86 and ran into an error:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.  This may indicate a problem with this package.  The error code is 2330.

Any thoughts?  I struggled finding a solution to the 2330 error problem, but came up empty handed :smileyplain:

See attached.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

When I google this it seems to suggest that it is a permission type of error.

Can you check in your Application list if you already have this installed? If so try to uninstall it first, then reboot and install the latest you got.

If that isn't the case then you could try to run as administrator. Although I'm not sure if that helps as I would expect the installer to ask for administrator privileges itself already.

I've seen other suggestions that it might be a disk corruption, but I'm having a bit of trouble believing that to be your problem.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wilsonics
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Wil.

I've tried uninstalling the existing tools that were installed, but I still come up with the same error.  I'm able to get what I need off of it, so I just created a new VM.

:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos