VMware Communities
CrashTestWalrus
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 10 Advanced Networking, what does that actually mean?

So I am currently a VMware 8.5 user and was thinking about upgrading to the latest version because there are some networking things that I can't accomplish currently. The advertising pages for Fusion 10 talk about new advanced networking. I am not really sure what this means because the documentation for Fusion 10 doesn't seem to be available. Previously I was attempting to connect my host computer to a CSR1000v router and had varying levels of success. It seems the thing that is missing is that the vmnet interfaces can't be associated to a macOS networking service. Meaning that I can't have them be something that shows up in the GUI for Network Preferences. Does Fusion 10 add that ability? This kind of became an issue because of DNS, I couldn't figure out a way to assign DNS servers to my Mac via the command line. They appear to be associated to network services listed in the network preferences. I needed the ability to use the DNS because the virtual router was connecting me to a larger lab via DMVPN. That lab had named services and access to the internet, only if I could get DNS working. I managed to get it working by making a macOS vm that was sharing a VMnet subnet with the virtual router and so I could assign the addressing on that VM via Network Preferences, but that is messier than I would like it to be. It does work, though. Having the option for a VMnet to show up as a named service inside of network preferences would greatly increase the flexibility of some of the networking options between the guest VMs and the host computer. So hopefully this is something that is Fusion 10.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure this will improve the method you are currently using.  Take a look at the Creating Custom Networks section of https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/10.0/fusion-10-user-guide.pdf  and Configuring the Network Connection .

0 Kudos
Legend0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still no VLANs ... pathetic ... Parallels has had it now for years. COME ON VMWARE! Give us the same functionality as VMware Workstation!

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi CrashTestWalrus ,

Welcome to Fusion community. Smiley Happy

This kind of became an issue because of DNS, I couldn't figure out a way to assign DNS servers to my Mac via the command line.

Did you check 'Using NAT'? NAT will do DNS proxy to make VMs connected to this network has the same DNS setup as your host. Can you describe your DNS setup?

0 Kudos