VMware Communities
liyunyu
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 1.1 on Leopard: Guest OS Network Problem

I installed VMware Fusion 1.1 on Leopard (MAC OS 10.5). After creating a guest OS (RHEL 5), the guest OS was unable to get IP address for the eth0 and peth0 - got Determing IP Information for eth0 ... failed error. I recall read something about this issue with the error message like the VMware Fusion was unable to run the Promiscuous mode but could not find that thread anymore. Anyone has the same network issue with Fusion on Leopard? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Liyun Yu

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you configure the VM for NAT or bridged networking?

How is your Mac connected to the network? Do you use Ethernet or Airport? Which Mac model do you have?

liyunyu
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
liyunyu
Contributor
Contributor

> Did you configure the VM for NAT or bridged networking?

>

I have tried all three as above, none of them worked.

> How is your Mac connected to the network? Do you use Ethernet or Airport? Which Mac model do you have?

>

The Mac was connected to the network via Ethernet Cable.

Airport is disabled.

The Mac is MacBook Pro 17".

For your reference, on the same mac, I have no problem with Parallel 3.0.

The network is working immediately after I installed RHEL5 and I can perform

the updates from the guest OS (Redhat linux 5, and Windows XP Pro).

That makes me believe this is a VMware Fusion issue, not a problem

on the mac side.

On the Mac Leopard, From the System Preference Share, I can see that there are two clients created

for Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host. Nothing for VMwareFusion. It was not

exist. Maybe you can check it out from there.

Thanks,

Liyun Yu

0 Kudos
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

According to the RHEL 5 section of this document:

http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/

You may need to disable IPv6 before things will work.

(Click on "Choosing and installing Guest Operating Systems" to see RHEL 5.)

liyunyu
Contributor
Contributor

IPV6 Was disabled.

I also followed the note you mentioned and checked the other network related items, all seems correct to me.

VMware-Config-Tools.pl was completed twice without any error,

The Guest OS can not enable the eth0 and can not assign IP to it.

I can manually assign IP to eth0, then I can ping the virtual switch at 192.168.122.1. However, again the system can not issue IP address to eth0 from DHCP.

This is the system that has no problem working with Fusion on Tiger, the same method of installation for RHEL5

was working perfectly when it was on Tiger.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You are re-acquiring a DHCP address by refreshing either /etc/init.d/network restart or restarting dhcpdc ? if static addressing works there's no reason DHCP shouldn't.

0 Kudos
yottashawn
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to resolve this? I also installed RHEL 5 Desktop from a fresh set of RHN ISOs in Fusion 1.1 (62573) on Leopard (10.5.1) and encountered the same eth0 error with no IP address. As suggested, I tried NAT and Bridged networking, disabled IPv6, reisntalled VMware Tools and rebooted multiple times, etc. I'm wondering if I need to revert to Fusion 1.0 or build this Guest OS in Fusion on Tiger and copy since you say it worked there.

-Shawn

0 Kudos