VMware Communities
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

VMware Fusion 1.1 Beta is out!

Hi folks,

Just wanted to make our faithful forum readers be the first to know that VMware Fusion 1.1 beta is now available!

Your existing serial numbers still work with VMware Fusion 1.1 beta, but if you haven't yet purchased 1.0, you can use the temporary serial number on the download page.

Here's the release notes with everything that's new in the 1.1 beta:

We worked really hard on this release, so please let us know about any feedback you have, constructive criticism, or issues you run into!

-

NOTE FROM PAT

The goal of this post and initial thread was to let people know about

VMware Fusion 1.1 Beta. We are getting great reports from people in

this thread, but it is hard to track them all hidden in this thread.

So, we are going to lock this thread and request that users who have

issues create a new thread and mention the version number and refer to

Eric Tung's post [[d-1070]|d-1070] for guidance in giving us a much information as possible to help track down any potential issues.

Thanks,

Pat

Message was edited by: Pat Lee

0 Kudos
61 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Sep 25 22:07:24 MacBookPro Installer[207]: An exception was thrown from the install queue while running IFInstallElement. NSRangeException. *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (1) beyond bounds (1).

Sep 25 22:07:24 MacBookPro Installer[207]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an unknown error that failed the install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Hi archie,

This is disturbing. How exactly are you entering your serial number? Are you typing it in, pasting it in, dragging and dropping it in? Somehow, you've hit a bug in the serial number user interface.

If you could describe the steps you took to reproduce this (you don't have to share your serial number!), it would be very helpful.

You can also continue past that step of the installer without entering a serial number, then enter it later from the VMware Fusion -> Licensing... menu.

0 Kudos
archieleach
Contributor
Contributor

Not your bug. Fixed in newer version of Leopard. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mstocum
Contributor
Contributor

Any chance of multiple monitor support showing up in Unity in this release?

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Supporting multiple monitors and getting it right so it handles monitors of different resolutions, different offset locations takes time. We know it is important, but it won't happen for VMware Fusion 1.1.

Pat

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had some display issues after upgrading and re-installing VMware Tools:

• Couldn't get the Windows guest to use the VMware status bar area even after toggling it off.

• Mac OS X windows would not restore. Switching to them via OS X Command-Tab or choosing the icon from the Dock didn't restore them. I had to minimize VMware in order to restore them.

• Full Screen view mode wasn't full screen.

I uninstalled VMware Tools, rebooted and re-installed. So far things are working as expected.

On a personal note, I'd like to see beta releases more frequently however not at the risk of system instability nor broken, previously functioning features. I depend on VMware and want to be able to benefit from bug fixes, usability and performance enhancements as soon as possible. I realize this may not be possible. VMware probably has a long QA cycle and the results - extreme system stability - speak for themself. I also own Parallels and have un-installed it from my MacBook Pro. I view VMware as solution for professionals such as those in IT (me).

Keep up the excellent work!! Kudos to the Mac VMware team!

0 Kudos
newbe786
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Everyone, I'am new to this forum and I was very much interested in trying out VMware fusion 1.1beta. I'm running a 24" iMac intel core 2 duo (Aluminum cased) Mac and was hoping to get windows running on this. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of the 1.1 beta release?? Is it worth downloading this? or downloading the 1.o non beta? If someone can answer these questions I have I would much appreciate it.

1. Do I have to have a copy of my windows xp to install after downloading Fusion? and how much space does it take up approx?

2. Do I need to do a partition on my Mac to run Fusion with Windows?

3. Which is better and more stable to use, I heard a lot of good reviews about CrossOver Mac 6.1, it takes up less space than Fusion but it still has its own drawbacks just like Fusion I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who answers my questions really looking forward in hearing your opinions on Fusion 1.1beta or the NON.!!!!!

P.s I did read over the getting started manual a bit confusing but anyhow I didn't see anything on this website addressing my questions I have asked so I hope they will be answered here at your wonderful forums for Fusion.

0 Kudos
mstocum
Contributor
Contributor

Fair enough. It's good to know it's at least on the radar.

0 Kudos
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Logitech Control Center Caps Lock notification no longer displays when moving in and out of virtual machine windows"

Even with the latest beta, I still see this in the single window or full window mode.

Ditto, even after upgrading to the latest VMware tools on Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, & XP guests.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should only see it if the host and the guest have different Caps Lock settings (for example the host if off, and the guest is on). Do you see a notification when you move in/out even if both environments have the same Caps Lock settings?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you remind us of what the #4 issue is precisely?

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Yes, you must have a copy of Windows to install same as if you went to the store and purchased a computer without any operating system. VMWare takes up 123 MB on my drive. My Windows XP virtual machine takes up 21 GB.

2. No. I don't even have Boot Camp installed though I will at some point. I have an external device that requires a firmware upgrade and I can't do it through VMware (at least the 1.0 production release). Kind of risky to do a device firmware upgrade through a VM anyway which is why I'll install Boot Camp.

3. CrossOver isn't even in the running. The leading products are VMware and Parallels. VMware has more experience with virtualization than anyone else. IMHO Fusion is the professional's choice (meaning Information Technology people) and Parallels is the consumer choice. I own both but use VMware exclusively now and have un-installed Parallels from my laptop. I mIight install Parallels on my kids iMac at some point.

0 Kudos
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should only see it if the host and the guest have different Caps Lock settings (for example the host if off, and the guest is on). Do you see a notification when you move in/out even if both environments have the same Caps Lock settings?

Caps lock was turned off on all guests, so shouldn't have behaved this way.

FWIW, the Logitech software is somewhat cruddy anyway, so this isn't a major issue.

Example, the Logitech "Control Center" fails to find my mouse (MX 700) about 2 of 3 boots. Further, using the mouse wheel can cause the system to lock-up (esp. in a VM or something graphical like Google Earth), fortunately Expose functions restore the responsiveness. Use of the Apple wheel mouse causes none of these issues.

0 Kudos
macguy918
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure where you want us to report this kind of problem, so please tell me where to do this next time.

I have a Macbook Pro with 2 GB of RAM and have been running VMWARE Fusion 1.0 pretty much full time for the past month. I am running a Windows XP virtual machine. I had suspended the machine and installed the VMware Fusion 1.1 Beta.

After installation, I got a warning that I needed to reinstall VMWare Tools. I did that, and now I get a registry error every time I try to boot my VM - which had been running Windows XP fine until I installed this beta.

I tried reverting to a snapshot that I took this morning before I installed the beta and the Snapshot Reversion seems to work and I have a functioning VM until I try to shut down or restart. At that point the machine will no longer boot up and I get the registry error blue screen.

Is there a way to go back to VM Fusion 1.0 and see if I can somehow get a functioning VM back? I would hate to have to create a new VM from scratch. That would take all afternoon.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Not your bug. Fixed in newer version of Leopard. Thanks.

Hi Archie,

What version of Leopard is the bug fixed in? Is it newer than the latest seed (9A559)?

This user reported the same error as you with 9A559:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/104638

If you do have access to a newer Leopard seed and can confirm it's fixed, that would be a huge relief for us. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kshree
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"You should only see it if the host and the guest have different Caps Lock settings (for example the host if off, and the guest is on). Do you see a notification when you move in/out even if both environments have the same Caps Lock settings?"

Cap lock settings haven't been changed on either one. They are both caps off.

0 Kudos
npomeroy
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. My mouse is the MX 400 and OSX sees it all the time. But the Caps Lock notification appears with all the VM's upgraded and Caps Lock off in all.

FWIW - Mac Pro, v2.2.2 of the Logitech Control Center, and just looking at Windows VM's for now.

0 Kudos
TheAngryPenguin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, I think I know what is going on. We will try to really fix it for the final release of Fusion 1.1. Thanks!

0 Kudos
newbe786
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Piggy for all the informative differences. I didnt even know about Parallels until you mentioned about it. I looked it up and I have a small question to ask you, I mainly need windows to run on my Mac for Gaming using PC games. In your opinion what would you choose as stable not crashing with excellent graphics, either the Parallels software or Fusion? This is just for Gaming purposes. Both look like they have decent stabilities but I dunno which one would be better? Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DirectX 10

0 Kudos