VMware Communities
francis_carden
Contributor
Contributor

VMware - FIX FUSION 3 - NOW!!!!!!

I LOVED FUSION 2.0 - I ranted about it to 100's of people. Best thing since sliced bread is what I used to say.

Now I upgraded to Fusion 3 and it's TERRIBLE. Performance is a joke. I use this in my daily work and if I'm lucky it still works. I can't rely on it now for my demonstrations. Shame. Shame. Shame.

Being a user of Fusion 2 since it was released, I can say I rated the s/w as a 9 or 10 for enterprise use. Now I rate it as a 3.

I will be doing a Video this weekend of how bad it is and will post it online. Since no one from VMware seems to bother to read these forums or comment. I suggest they see what people said about united Airlines when THEY didn't listen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

0 Kudos
266 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Folks,

We are listening. Enough people have complained, so we understand there is a problem affecting some users.

The reason we don't give you an answer right now is because we do not have one yet: we have not been able to reproduce this issue in-house. For everybody at VMware, and for the majority of our users, Fusion 3 is fast.

There must be something common in the setup of everybody who is affected by the slowness, but we do not know what that common thing is yet.

Please, everybody who is affected, post your Mac hardware model, Mac OS software version, how much RAM you have on your host, which guest you use, how much RAM you give to the guest, etc.

Also please run a CPU monitor in the guest to see if the guest is slow because the guest is busy.

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

100% correct Nixta! Eric is not listening.

I almost COOKED my MacBook yesterday, because FUSION 3 heats up the

Macbook processor so hot the fans were in HIGH SPEED. This never

happened in Fusion v2!

As soon as I shutdown Fusion v3, the Macbook processors cooled down

and the fans returned to low speed.

If Eric thinks we should be more patient, then he can BURN his Mac in

Fusion v3.

Sorry but I have work to do and can't afford to COOK my Mac on beta-

ware code that stresses the limits of the hardware.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

Lugesm2

Harsh?

run Fusion v2 on your Mac. Take the temperature of your processor

after 30 minutes sitting in Windows.

run Fusion v3 on your Mac. Compare the temperature of your Mac

Processor after 30 minutes.

Harsh does not begin to describe what Fusion v3 does on the Mac.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
francis_carden
Contributor
Contributor

ewestby - This post did elicit a response from VMware and then from me (see above). We were not getting any acknowledgement in these posts so out of frustration, I posted THIS. I've been in this industry 25+ years and been a CEO of a few successful technology companies so know too how this works! This problem is big in the sense that I rely on it as an enterprise application. At times, I have been dead int he water thanks to the slow downs. My personal failing was not to test it more fully before I went live. I relied too much on VMware delivering it right first time, every time to-date - until now.

0 Kudos
nrhareiner
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the problem of the increased temps when running fusion 3.0. This did not happen with fusion 2. The temps rapidly climb even with the fans kicking into high speed. As soon as I exit fusion 3.0 the temps start to decease.

Kim Sloan

09 Macbook Pro running 10.6.1

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

MAC OS X 10.5.8

2.4 GHZ INTEL Core 2 Duo

2GB 1067 MHZ DDR3

FUSION v3 stresses the processors so HOT that the fans run in

continuous HIGH SPEED while the temperature continues to rise. Not

sure how long this would continue.

Shut down Fusion v3 and the processors cool down and the fans return

to low speed / Normal temperature.

Fusion v2 never had this problem.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

I agree... We trusted the product BRAND based on it's past

performance. This v3 launch was a flop.

My concern was how HOT the Macbook processors got when running v3.

The fans kick into HIGH SPEED and do not cool down enough to return to

normal temp.

This is not safe for extended use. The only way to cool down was to

shutdown Fusion 3 and rollback to Fusion 2.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
francis_carden
Contributor
Contributor

HPREG, thanks.

I am MACBOOK PRO. Snow Leopard. 4GB RAM. 1.1GB allocated to my VM's. 2nd Monitor (high res). Upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0 - didn't change anything in configs.

Here is a common theme for me. Done this about 5 times now.

Start a VM from shutdown, seems OK. Actually, seems very quick. QUicker than 2.0

Open a second VM from resume - DOG slow.

Win XP task manager shows task manager consumer 100% of the CPU !! <<--- Weird (openning tasking manager took 20+ seconds)

Send Restart to second VM. Restarts - performs fine

First VM is running slow (not DOG slow but slow)

Kill secondVM

Restart first VM

First VM runs beautifully.

BTW - All other apps on the MAC perform OK when the VM is running like a DOG. i.e. not fast but not like a DOG either. VM's started from RESUME seem to be consistently slow.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Guys, when I write "what is your Mac model", I expect the output of "sysctl -n hw.model", i.e. a very precise Apple model. Thanks for posting the info so far though, this is helpful.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also have people tried francis.carden's suggestion at the top of this thread: re-start the guest OS, instead of suspending/resuming the VM? Does it help other people?

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

QUICK SURE WAY TO KILL YOUR MAC. I'm luck I did not leave mine

running over night.

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

Check your Macbook processor temperature after 30 minutes on Fusion v3.

Compare the processor temperature after 30 minutes on Fusion v2.

The results will be obvious. Don't leave v3 running overnight on your

Mac!

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
francis_carden
Contributor
Contributor

ABout This MAC - Hardware - is that OK? I don't use "TERMINAL" (Am an Enterprise user - remember !!).. Smiley Happy

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.28f2

Serial Number (system): W8811xxxxxxx

Hardware UUID: 49E116BD-A6FC-50xxxxxxxxxxx

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

sysctl -n hw.model

MacBook5,1

glen-kowalchuks-macbook-3:~ gkowalchuk$

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

Sir; Listen

We are 30 years in systems engineering. Standard procedure is to do a

clean cold shutdown/reboot when you have a problem.

Fusion v3 is dead.

0 Kudos
Nixta
Contributor
Contributor

100% correct Nixta! Eric is not listening.

I never said Eric wasn't listening. In general I don't see what more VMWare could be doing in terms of reading these forums and being responsive.

But I think VMWare have taken great liberties with their customer base by releasing this software and until it works I think we shouldn't be expected to pay for it.

Incidentally, my own personal experience is that Fusion 3's CPU usage is almost nil and much better than Fusion 2 ever was, but obviously that's not universal. I myself have many other issues with Fusion 3 that make it unusable, mostly to do with Unity.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Francis, thank you for that information

Nixta, thanks for that feedback regarding your CPU usage on your mac.

gkowalchuk, I understand that you are not happy with the performance of your fusion. We are here to help. I checked those two Service Request numbers you provided previously and they are just requests for refunds citing that performance is poor.

As mentioned, we'd definitely look forward to helping you with your technical issue, however, we would require some assistance from your end in providing us information. In regards to 30 yrs of system engineering, I am sure you can understand that without vital information regarding a problem, it makes it very difficult to isolate and troubleshoot an issue. Due to the fact that this thread could be read by a variety of users at different technical levels such as new novice users, HPreg did suggest Francis post of trying to cold shutdown/restart of the VM. As HPreg mentioned, this could be caused by a commonality within the setup configuration of some users. This could include but is not limited to specific applications, hardware etc.

I thank you for providing your posts as it does show you are passionate about our product, and did like Fusion 2. We'd like to be able to assist you to help get Fusion 3 to that same level of expectation. The more information we can gather, the quicker we can help pinpoint the cause as this is not something that has been reproducable in-house as HPreg has noted.

0 Kudos
davelundgren
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01

SMC Version (system): 1.33f8

Serial Number (system): W89080V51GA

Hardware UUID: 4CF0BF45-048C-5EFE-9E95-C9417A2F2646

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

vmWare: Windows 7, 1024MB RAM allocated - clean install from a retail DVD

XP Home, 512MB RAM allocated

vmWare is grabbing around 2.5MB of RAM when the W7 vm is enabled... the entire system comes to a crawl. Haven't noted the fan issue here, though

For the time being I am back at v2

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

Caromero

The shear volume of people running Mac OS X who are experiencing slow

performance, not processor temperature and very explicate

dissatisfaction with v3

AS COMPARED TO v2, suggests this is not a RARE difficult problem to

isolate.

In fact, we are NOT INTERESTED in being test pilots for BETA software.

The product was not tested thoroughly enough before releasing it.

QED.

0 Kudos
gkowalchuk
Contributor
Contributor

:smileyblush: Run Fusion v2 - note the core temperature after 30 minutes. Fans run at low speed while processors stay cool.

Smiley Sad Run Fusion v3 - note the core temperature after 30 minutes. Fans go to continious HIGH SPEED while processors get very hot.

Q.E.D. - quod erat demonstrandum

0 Kudos