VMware Communities
mgrimes
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Beta 3 and failed serial number entry/registration

To follow up from: http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=616310&#616310 (which covers Beta 2, notes Beta 3 is also a problem but is focused on 10.4.8)

I have seen the following problem also exhibited in Leopard betas, so the likelihood this is OSX build specific is not very apparent.

Following is a transcript of what happens:

Entering the serial number in the Installer and pressing the "Continue" button grays out the Continue button, does nothing and only offers "Go Back" or "Get Serial Number"

Pressing "Go Back" grays out that button too...

Pressing "Get Serial Number" goes to the same online form that offers the same Serial number entered in the text field that exhibited the above problems.

Only thing to discern in logs -- when the "Continue" button is pressed, the following pops up in system.log:

Apr 18 13:10:16 entropy Installer\[2809]: launch path not accessible

So the only thing that can be done is to drop out of the installer, since it is impossible to complete the installation process...

Inside VMware, going to Licensing, and then tapping in the Serial number there, drops a sheet down that says "Invalid serial number" "If you don't know your serial number, click Get Serial Number to get one online."

Ad Infinitum.

vmware-vmfusion.log looks like:

Apr 18 13:21:23.905: vmfusion| Log for VMware Fusion pid=2952 version=1.0b3 build=build-43733 option=

BETA

Apr 18 13:21:23.906: vmfusion| Hostname=entropy

Apr 18 13:21:23.906: vmfusion| Using log file /Users/mark/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.

log

Apr 18 13:21:24.021: vmfusion| Failed to acquire super user privileges.

Apr 18 13:21:24.036: vmfusion| Msg_Reset:

Apr 18 13:21:24.036: vmfusion| \[msg.License.cantOpenDirectory] Unable to open the /Library/Applicatio

n Support/VMware Fusion/licenses/user license directory: No such file or directory

Nothing out of the ordinary, creating this dir doesn't evade the lack of validating the beta serial number... as I wouldn't expect it to since I assume this will be used come release for personal licenses.

Naturally kext's could be a problem on 10.5 (note that VMware beta 2 DID run just fine in the prior Leopard seed (377a)) -- but I don't see the correlation between it and registering the application with the beta serial number.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kevin_Hoffman
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing this problem as well. I cannot validate the beta3 serial number, regardless of whether I type it manually, or paste it. It doesn't work during the install, and doesn't work from the licensing menu after installation.

0 Kudos
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for letting us know. Please open a support request for the issue and we will investigate further.

0 Kudos