VMware Communities
Orfeous
Contributor
Contributor

VMvare Fusion Pro 12.1.0, Windows 10 Pro (ver. 20H2) really slow.

Using my Macbook Pro 13" Retina late 2013 with latest macOS Big Sur 11.1
And Windows 10 Pro x64 as Virtual machine OS.

Windows 10 feels so slow. It always has so it has nothing to do with what macos och windows 10 version i had/have.
Played around with VMware settings with no performance improvments.

Also tried Virtualbox and some other VM programs.. but they work even slower.

I dont know what to do. Are there any tips and tricks and tweaks to do?
Not doing anything special on Windows 10. Feels slow just out of the box default.

Of cource im using VMware tools.

Windows 7 was really fast when i had it as VM OS.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Orfeous 

Mac spec in terms of CPU and memory?

VM spec in terms of CPU and memory?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you enable the virtualisation options for the VM? Eg. under settings -> Processors & Memory -> Advanced options.

If  any of the options there is checked then try to remove those checks.

You can also try to change with or without side channel mitigations (settings -> Advanced -> setting near the bottom).

PS: nothing to do with Big Sur? It's using apple's hypervisor now, so there's a reasonable likelyhood that it does have at least a partial reason there.

re. Windows 10, not sure exactly which build you are on, there are some issues with running VMs and the most recent insider previews.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Orfeous
Contributor
Contributor

wila, Thank you all for all your suggestions and help.
Are there any function to let me export my settings for you to view?

It felt sluggish before BigSur so it isnt because of that.

0 Kudos
Orfeous
Contributor
Contributor

scott28tt, Intel Core i5 2.4ghz, 8gb ram. VM 1 core, 3gb ram.
Since this mac only have 2 cores and not 4 on my desktop intel i5 i can only use 1 core on the VM so i can still use macos for other stuff.
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What's your host and guest CPU and RAM configuration?  2013 is getting long in the tooth to run Big Sur.

0 Kudos