VMware Communities
mmpf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs not starting after migration to Big Sur

Hi,

I am trying to get my virtual machines running after migration to a new mac (BigSur).

I had fusion 7 running on the old mac and there were three virtual machines (1x Windows 7, 1x Windows 10, 1x Ubuntu).

The old mac was fully migrated to the new machine with Apple migration tool. (1:1 copy)

Fusion 7 is not executable under Big Sur so I replaced it by Fusion Player 12.

I dropped the Ubuntu machine and wanted to keep the two Windows machines. Can't start any of them with following error message:

Einschalten von „/Users/alex/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7 x64 - isoliert.vmwarevm/Windows 7 x64 - isoliert.vmx“ fehlgeschlagen

It fails to switch on the vmx.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are currently no versions of Fusion which can power on any VM with the M1 processor.

And even when there is a version which can, that won’t be for x86-based OSes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mmpf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New Mac has the M1 cpu...so what I read from other discussions 'no chance' for the moment to get the vm running?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are currently no versions of Fusion which can power on any VM with the M1 processor.

And even when there is a version which can, that won’t be for x86-based OSes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mmpf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, thank you. so I can stop trying

0 Kudos