VMware Communities
daemonspudguy
Contributor
Contributor

VMs don't boot on Monterrey

I don't understand what the log is saying, and don't know what's wrong. Regardless, here it is:

0 Kudos
44 Replies
ArthurPereira
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer I get it. Thank you for your educational response.

I think VMware Fusion could at least have an option to disable hardware acceleration to solve compatibility problems like this.

Craig_M
Contributor
Contributor

Check for a rebuilt/refurbished machine.  I got a refurbished 2019 MacBook Pro from Apple, warranty and all.  I’m very happy with it…it’s faster than my Late 2013 MacPro!  Also check with OWC.

0 Kudos
Sam__fr
Contributor
Contributor

I had issues running my VMs once upgraded to Monterey from Big Sur on MBPro 13 mid 2012 using OCLP,  all failed starting with the error message "broken pipe -14".

As a few people around said, the issue is the HD4000 GPU embedded with the Intel Ivy Bridge processor, OCLP installs a root patch to support the macOS METAL framework and speeds up UI. 

I was about to downgrade my Monterey 12.6.3 to Big Sur 11.7.4 but I decided as a last try to remove the OCLP post patch for Intel Ivy Bridge and reboot my MBPro.

Once rebooted, OCLP warns you macOS needs to install a root patch to better run your GUI. This is not false as the GUI becomes less smooth than with the patch. BUT it enables to run your VMs again !!!  And once using Windows10  in full screen mode, you don't feel that much the latency. 

I don't use a lot my Windows / VMs, mainly for an accounting software not running under macOS or to do some testing with Windows only software. Once done, I can very easily re-install the root Intel patch from OCLP and reboot the Mac to have a faster GUI under macOS 12.6.3

jsmithjr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Sam

I have the very same problem with you. But I cannot figre out how did you remove root-patch ? I have opened up OCLP app but did not find any option about removing root-patch?

I also have MBP 9,2 and I have upgraded to ventura using OCLP. Now Vmware works but vms did not work(And I got the same errors like you)!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to take this up with the OpenCore developers as they are the only ones that know what they did to break applications that work fine on supported nacOS configurations.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos