VMware Communities
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs constantly asking if I Copied or Moved VM

Starting about a month ago, everytime that I launch a VM I get a popup asking if i Moved or copied the Virtual machine.

This happens if the VM is suspended or turned off.  It happens on every VM that I have.

I am running an i9 MacBook Pro running macOS Sonoma

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just an update...

Thanks everyone for your input.

The problem has been resolved with the help of Apple.

The culprit was the Windscribe VPN software that I had installed on my computer. They added a feature to the software that would randomly spoof the MAC address and it would rotate the spoofed address every few hours.

Even though the software was removed from my computer, it left a Privelidges Helper Tool that continued the behavior.

Now that my MAC address is no longer spoofed, Fusion no longer thinks that its been moved or copied to a new computer.

Again,  Thank you all for the help in working to identify the issue.

View solution in original post

41 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You are running the VM from different places each time, that's what causes it.  How are you launching them and where are they stored?

0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The VM's have been in the same location for years in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines.

I am launching them from the Virtual Vachine Library just as I have always done.  

The VMs have not beeen moved, or copied.  

I even tried to create a new VM and I get the same alert when I launched it after it was created.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hmm, so couple of ideas:;

1) is this a new machine you migrated from?

2) Try launching by double clicking in finder instead of the library

3) make sure you’re using an administrator account

4) make sure it’s not a case sensitive file system.

0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,  

This is really frustrating and perplexing...

1) I am using a 2019 MacBook Pro that i have had since 2020, and several of the VMs have been on here since then, others have been created over the years and never had this issue until about a month ago.

2)  If I double click or launch from the VM library I get the alert.

3) Yes I only use admin accounts

4) Standard APFS volume group..

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you perhaps have any cloud file services enabled which might be relocating your Documents folder? The most likely candidate is iCloud Drive with the "Desktop & Documents Folder" option enabled. That is very bad for a VM.

The best way to manage VMs on recent macOS versions is to set up a separate volume inside the same APFS container as your main volume (so they can share free space), then move the entire Virtual Machines folders there and reopen each VMs in VMware Fusion (telling it you moved them). Tell Time Machine not to back up the volume which has the VMs.

This arrangement means that when Time Machine makes a snapshot on your main volume, it will not include your VMs and potentially waste a large amount of free space due to changes in the VM over the lifespan of those snapshots (which can persist for a while in some cases).

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I was going to comment and suggest this as well.

Newer versions of Fusion create "~/Virtual Machines" instead of "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/" for this very reason.

VMs are just fancy Documents from our perspective, but Apple decided that Documents means small text files that should be cloud sync'd, and it causes problems like this and others when we have VMs in those sync'd folders.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Great catch - the cloud sync is one of the most brain-dead features (it completely destroyed by documents folder when I accidentally turned it on - without any confirmation.)

0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving the VMs to a seperate APFS volume didnt help, neither did moving them to ~/Virtual Macines.  In both scenarios, I expected to get the prompt the 1st time that I launched the VM's after I moved t but not on subsequent launches.

I dont have any cloud services enabled for files.  The folder that the VMs are in are listed as an exemption in Time Machine, as well as in Spotlight and my AntiVirus software.

I have tried deleting the prefs, as well as the vmInventory file that is located in ~/Library/Application Support/ VMware Fusion.

I even went as far as fully deleting VMware Fusion and resinsralling, but that did not help either.

I verified that the permissions are correct on all the VM files.

Only thing that I could think of is that I updated macOS Sonoma to 14.2.1 just before this started.  I am currentky on 14.3, and still having the issue.

I searched the web extensively to see if anyone else had this issue, but couldn't find anything.  I dont have any other machines that can run Sonoma to see if its an OS issue,  I do not have this issue on my Macs that are running macOS Ventura.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you disable your AV software and see if the problem still exists? 
What AV are you running?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I use BitDefender AV.  The problem even exists if I uninstall BitDefender.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I verified that the permissions are correct on all the VM files.

Only thing that I could think of is that I updated macOS Sonoma to 14.2.1 just before this started.  I am currentky on 14.3, and still having the issue.

What versions of Fusion and macOS did you upgrade from?

Did you verify the permissions of the files contained in the .vmwarevm bundle, not just the permissions of the bundle itself?

Can you drop into the Terminal and post a listing of the contents of the .vmwarevm bundle, obtained with:

ls -ale@R path-to-virtualmachine.vmwarevm

Also, could you power on the VM, answer the questions about moved/copied, shut down the VM, then zip up and post both vmware.log and vmware.-0.log files found in the virtual machine's bundle folder?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am enclosing the terminal output and the logs in the zipped file.

Hopefully they will give you some info as to what is going on.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Very odd.

It's not on a case sensitive file system by chance is it?  Or a fusion drive?

0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I said in an earlier post, its a 2019 MacBook Pro.  the SSD is standard APFS.

And, yes, very odd.   And frustrating...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How have you been answering the "copied vs moved" question?

Do you happen to have another VM in the virtual machine library that has the same MAC address for its virtual NIC as the one that's continually reporting the issues?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

I have been selecting Moved.  On the Mac and Linux VMs I have tried Copied, but that did not make a difference.

I have checked all of the MAC addresses, and they are all different.

Also something that I noticed since I started the thread is that if i launch a VM, quit and relaunch it within an hour or so,  I don't get the alert.  its only after a couple of hours that the VM is off that I get the alert, which is making this even more confusing.

Usually I would not launch a VM so frequently that I did not notice this behavior.

If I Restart my MacBook, run Time Machine the VM still needs some time before I get the alert again.   I have nothing running in the background that would scan files or modify them on any schedule.  Nor, have I added anything new since this issue started.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is indeed bizarre, and smells of something mucking around with files associated with your virtual machine behind your back.

What else is running on that Mac besides Fusion? Could you provide a quick support data collection bundle  (Help > Collect Support Information... > Quick) and post it?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Kevin_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is the report that it collected.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One really glaring problem from the logs.

You are running with System Integrity Protection (SIP) disabled. Before doing anything else, Enable SIP. If you're running software that's requiring you to run with SIP disabled stop using it and look for an alternative. Vmware is not designed or tested to run on  configurations that have SIP disabled.

Because of the number of third party background items you are running (including Cocktail, Carbon Copy Cloner,  Alfred, SoftRAID, DropBox, TechToolPro), I'd try booting the Mac into Safe Mode and then seeing if the problems recur.

If you don't want to do that, scrupulously check all the settings of everything you have that looks, walks, or quacks like a background task to see how it's configured and what it's touching. Particular attention needs to be paid to utility software (Like Cocktail, Tech Tool Pro, App Delete, Intel Power Gadget) and any of the myriad of the Finder "enhancers" that you're running) to see if they're running scheduled activities, and what on earth they may be doing to your system. It's been my experience that a lot of these "helpful" tools are not "helpful" at all because they are hacking the system in ways that are totally unpredictable and don't provide auditing of what they've done.

Things like "cleaners" such as Cocktail ane Onyx are particularly suspect as they are nothing more than placebos. They should be used ONLY when you have evidence of a problem that they can fix (which is rare). They typically can cause more problems than they solve. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos