VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMnet8 (NAT) missing from host adapters list

In Workstation/Server, if you perform an ipconfig you get a list of VMnets, i.e. VMnet1 (Host only) and VMnet8 (NAT). On OS X there's no sign of any vmnets on the Host. From the Release Notes, I understand Host-only is in progress, but what about the NAT vmnet, e.g. VMnet8?

Also is there a vmnetcfg GUI or script in the works?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Currently (for this private beta), Fusion doesn't create network interfaces in the host (Mac OS X) stack. This is work in progress, and will be available when host-only networking is available.

However, VMnet8 is still used as the "virtual hub" (aka "vnet") through which the VMware NAT daemon connects the VMs to the non-VM world.

The "com.vmware.kext.vmnet" KEXT implements this virtual hub.

Also, there is no vmnetcfg GUI in the works. There is a script that is used by the installer to set virtual networking up, i.e. find an unused subnet to use for the NAT network, launch daemons, etc. Once the rest of the virtual networking functionality is in place to bring feature parity with Workstation/Server, we can work on those.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Currently (for this private beta), Fusion doesn't create network interfaces in the host (Mac OS X) stack. This is work in progress, and will be available when host-only networking is available.

However, VMnet8 is still used as the "virtual hub" (aka "vnet") through which the VMware NAT daemon connects the VMs to the non-VM world.

The "com.vmware.kext.vmnet" KEXT implements this virtual hub.

Also, there is no vmnetcfg GUI in the works. There is a script that is used by the installer to set virtual networking up, i.e. find an unused subnet to use for the NAT network, launch daemons, etc. Once the rest of the virtual networking functionality is in place to bring feature parity with Workstation/Server, we can work on those.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks - good detail to know.

0 Kudos
amrx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So....

This means in Beta2 there is no way for me to setup a route from my host to my guest. For example, If I wanted to connect an application running in OS X on my Host machine to a database server on my guest machine. That functionality is not available yet? because I don't have an interface available in OS X right?

-Andrew

0 Kudos
amrx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can also use bridge for that.