VMware Communities
abudzynski
Contributor
Contributor

VMXNET3 : No internet connection? e1000e : Internet connection works fine?

FINALLY figured out that the e1000e driver is slow as hell on my network.  VMXNET3 works SO much faster... the only problem with VMXNET3 is that the internet stops working, I can't ping google.com but I can ping 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS).  So, DNS issue, right?  Tried changing my DNS settings around and such.. no luck.

Any ideas?  Would LOVE to use VMXNET3 Smiley Sad  This completely sucks.  As soon as I edit the .vmx and replace "vmxnet3" with "e1000e" (for the network interface) everything starts working, just very slow.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I've been working on this for weeks... finally figured it out and now this Smiley Sad brick wall.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

No that doesn't mean DNS issue per se, but it could be.

Does nslookup stop working when you change adapters to vmxnet3?

Also what guest OS are you using?

What virtual hardware version?

What network settings are you using (NAT/Bridged/host only/custom?)

What VMware Fusion version?

What macOS/OS X version?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
abudzynski
Contributor
Contributor

wila,

Thanks for the response!

Yes, nslookup stops working.  Also, if I ping google.com I get no response.  If I ping Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4) I get a response.

VM is seen by other OSX machines on the network (Finder Sidebar > Network > Can SUCCESSFULLY connect with proper credentials, filesystem accessible).

CANNOT connect to the VM's AFP fileshare (Finder > Go > Connect to server > afp://10.0.101.14).  Just doesn't work, won't connect.  Very weird.

Guest OS = 10.11.6

Host OS = 10.11.6

Virtual hardware version?  VMXNET3?

Network settings = Bridged (this is a fileshare / DNS server on the LAN)

VMware Fusion Version = 8.5.5

Thanks!  Hopefully I can resolve this... I have to.. lol

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Seems vmxnet3 is not officially supported for OS X guests (although that might have changed in the meantime)

See also here:

VMXNET3 for OS X VM's?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
abudzynski
Contributor
Contributor

Not offically, supported, no.  However, every account I read about online has it working just fine on an OSX 10.11.6 VM guest.

There's no reason it shouldn't work.  It's supported on 10.11.6.

Apple just doesn't "officially" support it.  Lots of success with it, however...

0 Kudos
abudzynski
Contributor
Contributor

hardware version 12, btw

0 Kudos
hormesis
Contributor
Contributor

In the latest version of VMware Fusion, if you edit your .vmx file to include `ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"` *without* setting `firmware = "efi"`, you will not be able to use the `vmxnet3` network driver.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That should be fine.

Sorry I would have to test and see here for myself, but am running out of time.

My best guess at this moment without changing config and log network packets is that UDP isn't working as it should.

But it could also be something completely different.

If you can grab a few network packets while running nslookup I can take a peek at it in wireshark, but I am certainly not a network expert so might miss the obvious.

Others that are also on the forum however might be able to see what's wrong in a jiffy, so it would still be a worthwhile excercise

--

Wil

0 Kudos
goadeff
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem also. Virtual macOS 10.12.6. Switched to vmxnet3 and I can access IP addresses OK but DNS queries get no response. I can see queries arriving at DNS server in a packet capture, but there's no response from server. Weird, and I will likely not spend any further time on this. I'll just switch back to e1000

0 Kudos