VMware Communities
DominicCWB
Contributor
Contributor

VMX File Corrupt

Starting VMfusion 7, receiving a VMX file corrupt error. I have read a few solutions online but menus are different and I can't seem to follow the repair. Is there someone that can assist me? I attached the VMX log file as well.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Here you go.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

with VMware Fusion closed, replace the VM's .vmx file with the one I recreated from the vmware.log file. Make sure you backup the original file in case something doesn't work as expected.

André

0 Kudos
DominicCWB
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the assistance !!  We will replace it and see.

0 Kudos
advbjc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I too have a corrupted vmx file... I don't know if it is appropriate to ask in this way but would you by chance be able to recreate same for me if I was to upload the appropriate files?  Running VMWare 5.0.4 and a Windows 7/64 OS...

Thanks in advance!

Barry

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Here we go. Since the VM has snapshots (six of them), make sure that the current one is the that shows up in the .vmx file. In doubt, backup the VM's files to have a way back in case something goes wrong.

André

0 Kudos
advbjc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André!  That worked fine for me.  Had to repair the disk but other than that worked like a charm.

Cheers!

Barry

0 Kudos
DominicCWB
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.....I have another VMX file that has been corrupted. The common thread is that I updated these Mac's to Yosemite and also updated the VM Fusion to 7.1 since anything lower would not run on Yosemite. Has anyone else heard of this issue or encountered this issue?

Could someone assist me once again with the corrupt file? I attached it to my post. I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please find the attached re-created .vmx file.

I can't tell you what's causing the corruption, but if you plan to upgrade the OS or Fusion, make sure you cleanly shut down the VMs rather than to suspend them.

André

0 Kudos
robbyccyip
Contributor
Contributor

corrupted VMX

Can someone help me out on the corrupted vmx issue?  Many Thanks!

edit by wila‌ his issue has been fixed.

0 Kudos
mcgedb
Contributor
Contributor

I need help fixing my .VMX file. 

0 Kudos
CoreyRCHMN
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting a 'VMX file is corrupt' error also.  Can you provide a valid VMX file from my log file?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Here's the recreated .vmx file.

André

0 Kudos
CoreyRCHMN
Contributor
Contributor

Worked great - Thanks!

0 Kudos
thefurbs
Contributor
Contributor

So, I'm not sure all that is in the log file, but is the basic idea to just create another VM using the existing VMDK?

I'm attempting to do that now, but not going so well.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've attached the recreated .vmx file.

In case you have a Windows system available, you can use my batch script in case this happens again. See HowTo: Recreating a .vmx from the vmware.log file

André

0 Kudos