VMware Communities
MacDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWware Fusion Player 13 won't load existing bootcamp vm.

Hey, I've got a bootcamp VM that is running fine in Fusion 12, but try to load in 13 ( on Latest Ventura public beta, but had same issue in tech previews on Monterey too I think ) and I get the following:

2022-11-19T07:21:20.111Z In(05) vmx DISK: OPEN sata0:0 '/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' persistent R[]

2022-11-19T07:21:20.116Z In(05) vmx RawDiskAuthReadPrivilegesDictionary: processing 'always ask' UIDs: ''

2022-11-19T07:21:20.116Z In(05) vmx RawDiskAuthReadPrivilegesDictionary: processing 'never ask' UIDs: '501'

2022-11-19T07:21:20.116Z In(05) vmx AppleXPC: Connecting to privileged service com.vmware.MountHelper...

2022-11-19T07:21:20.123Z In(05) host-2065062 AppleXPC: Connection established to service com.vmware.MountHelper

2022-11-19T07:21:20.123Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-FLAT  : "/dev/disk0s1" is already unmounted on open.

2022-11-19T07:21:20.123Z In(05) vmx AppleXPC: Connecting to privileged service com.vmware.DiskHelper...

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z In(05) vmx AppleXPC: Connection established to service com.vmware.DiskHelper

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z Er(02) vmx DISKLIB-DSCPTR: DescriptorOpenExtents: Cannot open VMFS flat disk without an extent line.

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-LINK  : "/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk" : failed to open (One of the parameters supplied is invalid).  

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z Er(02) vmx DISKLIB-CHAIN : DiskChainOpen: "/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk": failed to open: One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-LIB   : Failed to open '/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' with flags 0xa One of the parameters supplied is invalid (1).

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z Er(02) vmx DISK: Cannot open disk '/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk': One of the parameters supplied is invalid (1).

Any idea on possible reasons for the error listed?

40 Replies
Corrosive11
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.

0 Kudos
DDoDan
Contributor
Contributor

same issue with same error messages

0 Kudos
wbond_
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into the same error, tried deleting my Boot Camp VM and now am hitting the error trying to create a new Boot Camp virtual disk.

Running macOS 13 and Fusion Pro 13.

0 Kudos
WonHoSung
Contributor
Contributor

Any progress on this issue?

I'm waiting for the fix...

0 Kudos
Jan_Osch
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here ;-(

Please fix it or find a work around.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I got an update on my support ticket today that there is no progress.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That's inexcusable. No progress because they are trying to figure out the root cause, or no progress because nobody's working on it in VMware engineering?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No idea what is going on.  At least they let me know they look at the ticket once every week or so.

0 Kudos
WonHoSung
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone working on this issue in VMware team?

Does VMware team have a target schedule for the fix?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@WonHoSung None of us have any visibility into where this sits in the VMware engineering team. They do not comment on schedules for product releases (which makes it frustrating for those of us waiting for a fix). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I got my what appears to be weekly notice on my support ticket for this that:  "This is to keep you posted that we are actively working on the issue reported and we will keep you posted. Thank you for choosing VMware." so far no idea when they will fix it.

ibrenzinger
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue too

CheLew
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. How do I get a personal use license and ability to download VMware Fusion Player 12 while VMware researches this issue?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Your 13 key should work with the latest version of 12.

Keep in mind that 12 isn't supported on Ventura.

0 Kudos
CheLew
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  But where do I download Player 12?  I haven't downloaded it before and all of the website as far as I can see points to Player 13. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you go to https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/#all_products, you should be able to find the Fusion downloads.

Or for a more direct link, try https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/12_0

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
CheLew
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU. This is exactly the help that I needed.

0 Kudos
bajan
Contributor
Contributor

13.0.1 is out. Guess I'll give it a go.

Resolved Issues

• Unable to create or import a boot camp partition

When you try to create or import a boot camp partition as a virtual machine, Fusion fails to create or import the boot camp partition with the following error:

Could not create the virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine.

This issue is resolved.

EDIT: It works! But sure took them long enough.

Jan_Osch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, V13.0.1 fixes it

0 Kudos
JanZeman
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I tested this in January 2023 and put a personal note to my calendar to re-test in 6 months, which is now. Before investing time into this I thought I better ask here. Will the Version 13 work with my existing bootcamp these days?

Best regards

Jan

0 Kudos