VMware Communities
MacDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWware Fusion Player 13 won't load existing bootcamp vm.

Hey, I've got a bootcamp VM that is running fine in Fusion 12, but try to load in 13 ( on Latest Ventura public beta, but had same issue in tech previews on Monterey too I think ) and I get the following:

2022-11-19T07:21:20.111Z In(05) vmx DISK: OPEN sata0:0 '/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' persistent R[]

2022-11-19T07:21:20.116Z In(05) vmx RawDiskAuthReadPrivilegesDictionary: processing 'always ask' UIDs: ''

2022-11-19T07:21:20.116Z In(05) vmx RawDiskAuthReadPrivilegesDictionary: processing 'never ask' UIDs: '501'

2022-11-19T07:21:20.116Z In(05) vmx AppleXPC: Connecting to privileged service com.vmware.MountHelper...

2022-11-19T07:21:20.123Z In(05) host-2065062 AppleXPC: Connection established to service com.vmware.MountHelper

2022-11-19T07:21:20.123Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-FLAT  : "/dev/disk0s1" is already unmounted on open.

2022-11-19T07:21:20.123Z In(05) vmx AppleXPC: Connecting to privileged service com.vmware.DiskHelper...

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z In(05) vmx AppleXPC: Connection established to service com.vmware.DiskHelper

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z Er(02) vmx DISKLIB-DSCPTR: DescriptorOpenExtents: Cannot open VMFS flat disk without an extent line.

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-LINK  : "/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk" : failed to open (One of the parameters supplied is invalid).  

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z Er(02) vmx DISKLIB-CHAIN : DiskChainOpen: "/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk": failed to open: One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-LIB   : Failed to open '/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' with flags 0xa One of the parameters supplied is invalid (1).

2022-11-19T07:21:20.131Z Er(02) vmx DISK: Cannot open disk '/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk': One of the parameters supplied is invalid (1).

Any idea on possible reasons for the error listed?

40 Replies
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I seem to have the same issue. 

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

...now I've done it!  I tried deleting my Boot Camp and creating a new one.  Fusion 13 says "Could not create the virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine." So Fusion 13 lost access to something in Ventura.  I had not tried the Boot Camp VM after I upgraded to Ventura so not sure if this was already broke or not?

MacDragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah mine won't create a new one either, though I haven't deleted the original, as it still works in 12.

0 Kudos
EdwinLand
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. "Could not create the virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine."

0 Kudos
TimedUser
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here

0 Kudos
bajan
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue with me.

0 Kudos
erik162000
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue on my 2020 MacBook Pro. Just upgraded to Fusion 13 Player from 12. Bootcamp VM from my partition was working fine, no longer launching. I ended up deleting the BootCamp partition and created a new one, and now not able to create a new BootCamp VM.

0 Kudos
winter5
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Bootcamp VM won't boot after V13 upgrade.

Tried deleting it, and creating a new one but that process just fails (unsure how to get a full log, but happy to do it if someone tells me how).

For anyone blocked... I was able to uninstall V13, and install v12 again. It works as it should.

0 Kudos
JoelMKatz
Contributor
Contributor

Add another person to the list experiencing this. I haven't updated to Ventura yet. I'm still runnung Monterey, so this seems to be a general Fusion 13 issue rather then something that is Ventura specific. I may revert back to Fusion 12 if no one has found a solution yet.

0 Kudos
j8k3p0g
Contributor
Contributor

+1 here on MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS 12.6.1 (21G217)

Tried the following troubleshooting suggestions to no avail, so downgraded back to Fusion 12 successfully. 

https://github.com/mikew/vmware-fusion-bootcamp

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151780 

0 Kudos
winter5
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm wondering if VMWare is aware of this regression. Seems like sending a bug report is not free (odd to me), so if anyone has an unlimited support plan... do us a favor hehe 🙂

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have opened a case with VMware.  The initial troubleshooting session was almost pointless.  What does appear to be going on is that something in Ventura has the bootcamp partition "open already" so Fusion cannot do anything with it.  

0 Kudos
winter5
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm interesting that V12 is able to work for us 😮

0 Kudos
philmoz
Contributor
Contributor

It's not just Ventura. Same thing happens in Monterey (12.6.1).

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are actively investigating a regression in VMware Fusion 13 which causes Boot Camp VMs to fail with the log containing the error message "DescriptorOpenExtents: Cannot open VMFS flat disk without an extent line".  The same issue occurs either when powering on an existing Boot Camp VM or when attempting to create a new Boot Camp VM.

I do not yet have any information to share on possible workarounds.  For the time being, it may be necessary to temporarily downgrade to Fusion 12 while we work on a fix.  If you do downgrade and have other VMs besides the Boot Camp VM, please do remember to first downgrade the virtual machine's compatibility for each virtual machine by going to Virtual Machine > Settings..., then choose Compatibility, expand Advanced options, and if the virtual machine is using virtual hardware version 20, select version 19 or lower.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

ColorInLab
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue for me.

0 Kudos
alexIADAN
Contributor
Contributor

same problem

0 Kudos
alexIADAN
Contributor
Contributor

i remove vm 12 fusion player and install Vm 13 fusion player but now is not possible to create a new VM from the bootcamp . How do resolve it ? thank you for your HELP

johnsuperdoe
Contributor
Contributor

please also investigate how such a lapse can happen during testing before releasing a major version 😑