VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMWare bundle sizes

When it comes to VM sizes, default clean installs of Windows 7 SP1 is around 7 Gig... Windows 10 is about 10Gig, and then MacOS VM's are  are wopping18GiG

WHy the difference between Winows and Mac guests ?

Is it due to the fact Fusion cannot clean Mac based VM, as the  2nd HD it adds for the installer files are gone. and it deletes 2nd hard drive after install finished so it can't be that..

Any theories ?

For now, i'm backing it up "as is" but would wanna get and get these Mac VM down allot to around 10Gig it possible..

This is on clean installs in fusion... no apps or anything.

The reason for backing up these VM's is kinda obvious. Mac guests takes AGES to install.. must slower than a standard Mac. I have 4TB NAS to store, so space shouldn't really be an issue, but its still huge file size.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i think with the default 'pre-allocate' disk space being unchecekd is part of the issue. while on Windows it's checked.

Update: I was wrong  "split into multiple files" is checked in Windows VM settings... and pre-allocate remains unchecked on both

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Two thoughts immediately come to mind:

1. If the guest is downloading macOS updates in the background, that will consume additional guest disk space, and some of those updates are massive.  I usually leave the network adapter "disconnected" while installing VMs for that reason.

2. If you have FileVault full-disk encryption enabled in your macOS guest (in System Preferences, under Security & Privacy, choose the FileVault tab), the guest will encrypt the contents of the virtual hard disk, including the unused regions of the disk.  Fusion will need to write those encrypted disk blocks to the virtual disk file on the host, and this will cause the VM's virtual hard disk to expand out to its maximum size, just the same as if the disk was preallocated.  That expansion will occur in the background while macOS performs the encryption.

You can try running:

sudo du -sk /*

inside the VM to get a picture of where the guest is using disk space, but keep in mind that the disk usage shown there (in kilobytes) will not include the macOS Recovery HD and Preboot environment which are in separate APFS containers.

I hope this information is useful!

--

Darius

0 Kudos