VMware Communities
TerreHaute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Yosemite Windows 7 Real Problems

We have two iMacs that this morning started having problems with VMWare Yosemite and Windows 7.  We were running Yosemite and VMWare 6 (something) when Windows 7 would not work any longer.  So we updated to VMWare 7 then Windows 7 wanted to open with their routine to fix Windows, being as we had, had to kill off Microsoft using the VMWare Shut Down pull down menu to Force Quit Windows, being as Windows 7 was frozen.  When restarting, Microsoft Windows 7 went out looking for a fix and ran and ran, never finding.  Another thing that we noticed is that to get visual feedback like getting any progress bar to move, or spinning-in-process wheel to move, you have to keep your mouse moving, it seems.  It is like the software goes to sleep or times out if the the mouse is not moving, or at least visual feedback does, however the software will eventually get where it is supposed to go if left alone for a considerable period of time.  Long story short Windows 7 when you do finally get in it is very slow and does strange things, like you type a letter in a networking login field and it will put 5 to 10 character in.  We have spend from 8:00 this morning to 12:25 trying to get things to work and still don't have it running right.  Windows 7 has all of the latest updates, VMWare 7, and Yosemite are all installed.  There seems to be a very real problem that needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TerreHaute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, I found that this worked.  It was posted on this site in another link by ShaneBickley, it read:

I decided to try a re-install OSX. Because it worked last time I ran across this. (Mountain lion updated to Mavericks. and you guessed it...It worked. Smiley Happy

Step 1 : Shutdown your virtual OS

Step 2 : Close vmware

Step 3 : Download Yosemite OSX again.

Step 4 : Re-install Yosemite OSX (a clean install is NOT needed)

Step 5 : wait for install to complete......about 30 mins

Step 6 : login to Yosemite OSX

Step 7 : double click to open VMware 5,6, or 7

Step 8 : All should be working Flawlessly.

I found that for some reason if you install Yosemite before you update VMware it hangs.

so to fix just follow the 8 step To fix easy as 1-8 has been working flawlessly every since I've done that. Hope it does for you too.

This worked for me also.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have the mid-2011 iMac, there is a known problem with Yosemite which will cause VMware Fusion (and other software) to run very slowly.

Suspend your VMs, then launch Terminal, and run the following command at the prompt:

sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10

The command should complete instantly and will just show another prompt.  Quit Terminal and restart your Mac.  Then VMware Fusion should run fine.

Let us know if that solves the problem for you!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
TerreHaute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, I found that this worked.  It was posted on this site in another link by ShaneBickley, it read:

I decided to try a re-install OSX. Because it worked last time I ran across this. (Mountain lion updated to Mavericks. and you guessed it...It worked. Smiley Happy

Step 1 : Shutdown your virtual OS

Step 2 : Close vmware

Step 3 : Download Yosemite OSX again.

Step 4 : Re-install Yosemite OSX (a clean install is NOT needed)

Step 5 : wait for install to complete......about 30 mins

Step 6 : login to Yosemite OSX

Step 7 : double click to open VMware 5,6, or 7

Step 8 : All should be working Flawlessly.

I found that for some reason if you install Yosemite before you update VMware it hangs.

so to fix just follow the 8 step To fix easy as 1-8 has been working flawlessly every since I've done that. Hope it does for you too.

This worked for me also.

0 Kudos