VMware Communities
JayJeep
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools won't install Windows 11 ARM

I upgraded to version 13 last night and install Windows 11 ARM. I can't get VMware tools to install. I get the message that if it does not launch automatically then manually run Setup.exe. There is no Setup.exe only setup.ps1. If I run the command under power scripts the instal fails with Running Scripts is disabled on the system. I tried changing the execution policy but that does not work. Any thoughts. 

14 Replies
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you launch  the powershell  in admin mode and run commands mentioned in README.txt, it should  work. 

In any case let us know what error you are getting.  

0 Kudos
pajs06
Contributor
Contributor

Hello !

I followed the steps mentioned in the README file. When attempting to "run with PowerShell", its window open, some text in red appears and then the window close almost immediately without installing anything.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Please post a screen shot of the commands you used and the resulting error message. 
What build of Windows 11 are you running? You can quickly find that out with the ‘winver’ utility in Windows. . 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Also, try opening a powershell prompt as administrator and running the commands directly in powershell rather than double clicking the setup.ps1 file in the file explorer. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
cxdani
Contributor
Contributor

You have to run first a command to allow you to run scripts in PowerShell.

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

After this run

.\setup.ps1

But the Vmware Tools seem to be minimalistic.

Shared Folders and shared clipboard are not working.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@cxdaniwrote:

But the Vmware Tools seem to be minimalistic.

Shared Folders and shared clipboard are not working.

Shared folders/drag/drop/copy/paste are not supported with Windows 11 ARM VMs. This is documented in the VMWare Fusion documentation for Fusion 13 here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/13/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-391BE4BF-89A9-4DC3-85E7... and has been discussed ad nauseam here in the forum and in the Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon Companion document found in the VMWare Fusion Documents section of this forum..

Unfortunately the VMware documentation is missing the step to run set-executionpolicy, which is really, really important.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
pajs06
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

my problem disappeared after a restart (it was not the first) of the MBA and without further action on my part. Computer mysteries...

Thanks anyway !

0 Kudos
kpnuts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have same issue 

Have run set - ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned the message after said registry keys had been updated

when I run setup.ps1 I get error

setup.ps1 cannot be loaded because running scripts is disabled on this system 

can anyone help please

0 Kudos
kpnuts
Contributor
Contributor

issue solved

you have to set the scope of the policy to LocalMacine

set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -scope  LocalMachine

when I run setup.ps1 it installed the tools

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you please post a screen shot of the commands that you entered and the exact error messages?

What ISO did you use for your installation?

Are you following the instructions in the unofficial guide and did you invoke the command line prompt at the point indicated in the guide?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just a plug - if you didn't use the unofficial guide, I'd start over from scratch.  It's the most up to date and problem free way to create a Win 11 ARM VM.

0 Kudos
kpnuts
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the help

along with the error message telling me running scripts was disabled was a link to a Microsoft discussion about this issue.

It stated the issue was related to the VM being managed by a client rather than installed directly.

It suggested that you needed to set the scope of the policy to localMachine or currentUser.

When I set the scope to LlocalMacine and ran the setup script again the tools installed correctly.

The installation is now working well.

Thanks once again 

0 Kudos
MacUser4000
Contributor
Contributor

The default scope for Set-ExecutionPolicy is LocalMachine and that suggestion you got @kpnuts seems to miss that. One can see what has been set with the command Get-ExecutionPolicy -List.

In my case I restarted everything and got rid of the old disk and started anew. I finally got setup.exe of VmWare Tools to spawn an actual install window an after that everything worked. It's somewhat curious this just couldn't be automated by Fusion. Let's hope that's where it lands.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware Tools included in the 2023 Tech Preview and that we should see in the next version of Fusion are installed with a proper MSI installer like they are on Intel Windows VMs. That means that the need to install with PowerShell will be a thing of the past.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos