VMware Communities
Ant_222
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare SVGA driver problems with Win98SE

Hello,

I have installed a Win98SE guest into VMWare, then installed VMWare Tools. Everything works fine except that the virtual machine crashes if I try to set the color depth to 256 colors. It's probably for that reason that a full-screen (DirectX) app I am trying to run crashes with exactly the same symptoms.

Could you help me make the 256-color mode work in Win98SE guest (with VMWare Tools installed)?

Thanks in advance,

Anton

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert

Hello,

What VMware product are you using?

Windows 98 and ME are supported by VMware Workstation 7.0, 6.5 and 6.0 (Guest Compatibility)

Check this link (same problem with windows 98)

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
Ant_222
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Kasraeian

I am using VMWare Fusion, which runs Win98SE quite well except for the 256 color mode.

I'll try the suggestions in the post you have mentioned and tell you about my success.

Anton

0 Kudos
Ant_222
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, the changes to the .vmx file recommended in the referred post didn't help.

Windows keeps hanging when I try to set the 256-color mode.

Anton

PS: BTW, I am trying to play NeverHood on the Virtual Machine.

EDIT: Admins: Sorry for posting this to the wrong section. Please, move the thread to the VMWare Fusion Forum.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Fusion forum.

0 Kudos