VMware Communities
Calamari
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion with 4 monitors?

I've been using VMWare Fusion since the original beta and I've never had an issue with it. However I recently upgraded my Mac Pro with a second video card, allowing me 4 monitors, and now VMWare Fusion just doesn't seem to work in Unity or full screen mode. It's giving me erratic dead space across the monitors, the task bar is being spanned across multiple screens and toggling in and out of Unity gives me inconsistent results (taskbar on different screens, etc.).

I've tried restarting the VM and the guest but it doesn't seem to help much. I've also tried entering in unity on various different screens without much success. The only thing that seemed to make a difference was removing one monitor. With three monitors Fusion works fine in unity. However attaching that fourth monitor causes it to bug out again. Any ideas? For reference I'm using Mac OS 10.5 and my monitors come in 3 different resolutions (that complicates things I know). Here's the details of my setup:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0602

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3233

Displays:

Acer AL1916W:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Acer AL1916W:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-2

PCIe Lane Width: x1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0393

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3008

Displays:

CMC 19:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

SDM-S73:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Two ideas: Make sure that Tools have been updated in the guest (uninstall/reboot guest/install to make sure), then shut down the guest and quit Fusion. Attach all four monitors. Try running the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
jmendo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Calamari,

I also notice that your PCI slots are setup incorrect for dual video cards. please refer to Mac Pro: About the PCI-E slots for instructions. The Two x8 Lane would be preferred for your setup without knowing what else occupies the PCI slots on your machine.

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

PCIe Lane Width: x16

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

PCIe Lane Width: x1

I also notice that you are using Video Cards from two different Mac Pro models, I will assume that you have an older MacPro that was shipped with the 7300 and you purchased a 7800 upgrade that was approved for your Mac Pro model. If you went the other direction with this then I have not seen a 7300 supported for the newer Mac Pro's. See Video Product-Specific Details for apples Video Card specifications.

From there if you have your Mac setup correctly with the correct hardware and you are still seeing the issue, please run the support tool (/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool) and attach the file that is created to this post.

Thanks,

-jesse

0 Kudos