VMware Communities
CarlPhilip
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion issue after upgrade to Windows 10.

Hello everybody;

I am hoping someone can help me, because I have been trying for days to solve this.

I have an Imac (from 2011) with both MacOs and Windows 7 installed on it under Bootcamp.

So I can either boot under MacOs, boot under Windows,

and if I boot under MacOs, I can even start my Windows installation afterwards in a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion.

Recently I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10.

And then the problems started.

Windows 10 became slow, unstable and after some days simply stopped booting.

I tried to reinstall Windows 10 by booting from a DVD, but it never gets past the Windows logo.

I don't know why my Mac cannot boot from a Windows 10 DVD, but well.

So, my second option was to try to boot the Windows 10 installation in a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion,

and let this VM boot from the Windows 10 DVD to reinstall it.

Alas, as I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the Windows installation can no longer boot under VMWare Fusion.

For some reason, VMWare Fusion does not 'recognize' the disk anymore,

and I get an error from VMWare Fusion saying that I need to "Remove the Windows disk from the virtual machine, and then add it again".

Here is my problem:

If you REMOVE a disk under VMWare Fusion, does that mean that the disk will cease to exist? Will I lose everything on it?

Or can you effectively remove and then re-add the same disk again, without losing anything?

I am just afraid of losing that Windows partition, so I don't dare to go further.

I am sorry, but I have no experience whatsoever with VMWare Fusion.

I don't even really understand the relation between Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion...

Many thanks in advance for any input and help!

Carl Philip

Ps.:

Also, I simply cannot find the version of VMWare Fusion which I have...

have searched the net on how to do this under MacOs, but the screen shots are never the same as what I have...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You mention macOS, are you on macOS Sierra?

Also the version for Fusion can be found under the menu -> VMware Fusion -> About

If you can still run your bootcamp partition as bootcamp AND you are running the latest VMware Fusion (8.5.3) then you can simply delete the bootcamp VM from within VMware Fusion and re-create it. A bootcamp VM is a virtual machine that has setup some "link" to the actual bootcamp machine.

You can rename it and recreate if you don't feel comfortable deleting.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos