VMware Communities
mwille64
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion disable .vmem files on OSX Yosemite

I know that there are plenty of postings about this subject, however, none of the minimum.backing mainmem.backing settings worked for me.

I wonder if the reason that the "swap" setting doesn't work is that I disabled the OS X swapfile too. Reason being that I have 16GB of memory and never run even remotely out of memory. I do have little SSD drive space though and the VM runs with 8GB memory. So I have 8GB less SSD drive space. I would like to gain back this space.

Is there a way to simply switch .vmem off completely, instead of redirecting it to a different location?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mwille64
Contributor
Contributor

Alternatively, stop deleting the .vmem file and reuse it. That will reduce wear down of SSD drives and improves performance. That has already been suggested some 5 years ago and hasn't even received a single answer:

Prevent VMEM (memory) file from being deleted/recreated upon shutdown and startup?

0 Kudos
mwille64
Contributor
Contributor

Some more information...

I found that with the mainMem.backing = "swap" the .vmem file is NOT created. HOWEVER, OS X reports that the hard disk has 8GB less space.

Here is the interesting part: using OmniDiskSweeper I cannot find any file or files that amount to 8GB. In matter of fact, OmniDiskSweeper reports the exact same number of files before the VM is started and when it is running.

So what exactly is going on here with the "swap" option???

0 Kudos