VMware Communities
JeremyMcDev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion claiming there is not enough free space

For some reason VMWare Fusion will not allow me to expand my disk claiming there is not enough free space even though I have nearly 100gbs free. I am able to create a second virtual hard drive no problem.

Snip20140724_2.png

OSX 10.9.4 and VMWare 6.0.4. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do not have adequate free Host disk space to perform a resize or to change from a monolithicSparse to a twoGbMaxExtentSparse type disk and your only option if you cannot free up an adequate amount of Host disk space is to temporarily copy the Virtual Machine Package to an external drive that has adequate free disk space to perform a resize or to change from a monolithicSparse to a twoGbMaxExtentSparse type disk and then test that all is okay before copying it back. You should also ensure you have a proper backup before converting disk type or resizing and Time Machine is not considered a proper backup for Virtual Machines.  Additionally make sure the Virtual Machine is shutdown, not suspended and VMware Fusion is closed when backing up the VM or copying/moving the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the first picture you posted (and then replaced) the disk might be a monolithic virtual disk type (i.e. a single .vmdk file). In this case increasing the virtual disk requires that the contents of the existing virtual disks are copied to the new virtual disk. What's the current size of the virtual disk?

André

0 Kudos
JeremyMcDev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is correct. It is a single vmdk file and it is currently set at 120GB and I'd like to increase it to 150GB. So I have to switch it to use multiple vmdk files instead of 1, so it can copy everything to to the new file then delete?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do not have adequate free Host disk space to perform a resize or to change from a monolithicSparse to a twoGbMaxExtentSparse type disk and your only option if you cannot free up an adequate amount of Host disk space is to temporarily copy the Virtual Machine Package to an external drive that has adequate free disk space to perform a resize or to change from a monolithicSparse to a twoGbMaxExtentSparse type disk and then test that all is okay before copying it back. You should also ensure you have a proper backup before converting disk type or resizing and Time Machine is not considered a proper backup for Virtual Machines.  Additionally make sure the Virtual Machine is shutdown, not suspended and VMware Fusion is closed when backing up the VM or copying/moving the VM.

0 Kudos
JeremyMcDev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. That is actually what I was in the process of doing when you posted this. It makes sense now that I know how it copies it to another file.

0 Kudos